Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Let's Talk about Paper Piecing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lets-talk-about-paper-piecing-t304247.html)

shasta5718 04-21-2019 05:50 AM

I haven't done a lot of paper piecing, but I do like it for the precision, I have done a couple of lap quilts and they turned out great.

toverly 04-21-2019 05:58 AM

I'm trying a new way to paper piece, with fusible interfacing. I'm working on Karen Stone's Cinco De Mayo pattern which is a variation of a New York Beauty. I'm using lightweight pellon fusible interfacing and tracing the pattern onto the fusible, then paper piecing and fusing it all down before I trim. No paper pulling and no weak points. I've quilted with this before on embroidery pieces so I think it will work fine.

baskets4moo 04-21-2019 08:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The first thing I tell my paper piecing students is that if you can think "backwards" you can paper piece. All it takes is reverse thinking and a lot of patience. And I love taking out the papers, yeah, I know, I'm weird:D
My king sized "Insanity" is paper pieced. It is a smaller block size that Bonnie Hunters original with over 15,000 pieces, all batik. Won a 3rd by the judge but viewers choice of our show.

KalamaQuilts 04-21-2019 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by premid1 (Post 8243172)
I have purchased a Judy Niemeyer fractured Star pattern - paper piecing and I am totally lost as to how to paper piece. It appears totally different to the pp I have done many years ago. I'm not sure if I will be able to make it, have all the fabrics, etc. Just keep looking and reading but not getting anywhere. Any suggestions? Thanks

I'm taking a 3 day class on the oregon coast with two of her teachers next month.
If you go to her website, under programs ad teaching, there is a list of teachers by area.
http://www.quiltworx.com/certified-p...-and-teaching/
if there is one or more anywhere near you write and ask where they teach.

In honor of the class I'm actually going to buy fabric! I quit buying fabric in 2001!
I'm also going to use batiks, which I've never really used before except for a few scraps.

that said I know we don't Need a class for her patterns if we have some experience, but it sounds like so much fun.

Kassaundra 04-21-2019 09:06 AM

This took 3rd? There must have been some amazing quilts to better this awesome quilt.

Originally Posted by baskets4moo (Post 8243265)
The first thing I tell my paper piecing students is that if you can think "backwards" you can paper piece. All it takes is reverse thinking and a lot of patience. And I love taking out the papers, yeah, I know, I'm weird:D
My king sized "Insanity" is paper pieced. It is a smaller block size that Bonnie Hunters original with over 15,000 pieces, all batik. Won a 3rd by the judge but viewers choice of our show.

sewnclog 04-21-2019 09:09 AM

I too enjoy pping. I do not cut my pieces. I will cut strips and use only what I need rather than cut rectangles or whatever is suggested than have to pitch the other pieces so it cuts down on waste. If you have old phone books save those; the pages are tissue thin any more and really easy to remove from the stitches. I love the precision of it.

Kitsie 04-21-2019 01:08 PM

Yes, me too. Using freezer paper which you can use the same template many times. Look up the method online. I love to PP and at my age, keeps me accurate!

mjsylvstr 04-21-2019 03:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Feline fanatic.....love SilverLiningsOriginals........I love her patterns and her vellum paper....wouldn't use anything but them. I hated PPing until I was gifted with the 1/4" ruler and have since bought the 1.8" ruler also. I now do nothing but PPing, no more traditional.....what one can find in traditional, one can also fine in PPing. In my quild's quilt show in February, my Horse Hanging won a 1st place ribbon, and 2 vendors' choice ribbons and my Treasurers of the Seas won a vendors' choice ribbon also. They both received viewers' choice awards also....What a show it was for me this year and it was all because of paper piecing!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]611907[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]611908[/ATTACH]

stitch678 04-21-2019 05:13 PM

Iceblossom...Wow! That's a very ambitious project and sounds like a lot of fun too...please be sure to post a photo of that one when complete!

meanmom 04-21-2019 05:50 PM

I love to paper piece also. I too have done all of Carol Doak's 50 paper pieced stars. It is my avatar. I have several project I am working on using it. I love the teeny tiny pieces.
I just gave a presentation on PP to a neighboring quilt guild and taught a short class on it. If I had more time I would do more of it.