Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Linen napkins and table cloths (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/linen-napkins-table-cloths-t78763.html)

Shirley I. 11-26-2010 09:28 AM

I recently inherited many of my mother's dresser scarves and table cloths from the 1950s. She used all of them often, so some had stains and the edgings were worn. I washed and ironed them and cut into 7" and 4" blocks. I then ironed them to lightweight muslin using MistyFuse, recut them into 6-1/2" and 3-1/2" blocks and used them here in there in a quilt with pastel fabrics which were also my mother's. It washed beautifully and my sister will love it. My friends who collect vintage linens almost had heart attacks!

amma 11-26-2010 10:48 AM

My feeling is if you would get more use out of them in a quilt or quilted wallhanging, then go for it :D:D:D

grammy17 11-26-2010 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by amma
My feeling is if you would get more use out of them in a quilt or quilted wallhanging, then go for it :D:D:D

Absolutely no matter who they belonged to before, they are yours to use in any way that pleases you. Unless--they are museum pieces--then contact a museum..

Edie 11-27-2010 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by grammy17

Originally Posted by illinois
I have linen table cloths and matching napkins that belonged to my mother and both grandmothers. Has anyone repurposed these into a quilt or is that a terrible idea? All seem to be in wonderful condition but who uses linen table cloths and napkins in our day of simplicity?! Our foremothers spent hours starching and ironing these. Seems I should come up with some idea that will preserve the fabrics in a more usable way.

My daughter buys them is sales and uses them everyday on the table without starching and ironing. Wash dry fold and use. She loves the feel and not throwing paper napkins into the trash.

I do exactly the same thing. I have not bought paper napkins since about ten years before my husband retired - 1993. I made cloth napkins and put them in his lunch bucket. He liked them, he got complimented that his wife made him cloth napkins for his lunch bucket. We still have them. Only difference now is when I find them at garage sales, they have to be almost perfect and no iron. Works like a charm every time. Edie

illinois 11-27-2010 05:58 AM

Great suggestion! I could use these for the backs on table runners--they were made for use on tables--LOL! Maybe my daughters would enjoy having something like that as a double keepsake with the top made by me and the back being something from their ancestry.

Someone mentioned the doilies. I purchased matching ones and used them as the center for a Dresden plate wallhanging. Very feminine touch on that particular block.

carhop 11-27-2010 06:42 AM

i have a large buffey sp? full of linnen the ones i love and use the most are placemats and napkins with tatting aroung edges, full size crochet bedspread great aunt made for me she passed when i was 5 hankies 50's table cloths there is still more can't think of what

Ladystitch 11-27-2010 06:49 AM

I just rec'vd the same thing from a friend of mine, and I tought about doing the same thing. I need to know the feedback also.

steelecg 11-27-2010 06:59 AM

I like the idea of using the doily as a center for a Dresden plate -

Connie Merritt 11-27-2010 07:29 AM

I found some quite large Damask napkins at a garage sale and used them to embroider my redwork and then those went into a quilt. It worked great and washed wonderfully. I think it is wonderful for us to use these items before they rot away in storage. I love the ways and ideas that all of you create, use, design etc. Thanks for more ideas.

Pzazz 11-27-2010 07:36 AM

I use mine...but if you don't, you should do what feels right for you.

Patti