Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   log cabin - paper piece or not? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/log-cabin-paper-piece-not-t89558.html)

qnana 01-11-2011 10:27 AM

I started quilting with log cabin patterns because they always look beautiful to me. I have never had any problems with them. I cut all the strips (carefully) and arrange the colors just how I want them before I start to sew. Then just keep a 1/4" seam - my Janome has a 1/4" foot and markings on the throat plate. I am thinking about paper piecing a small log cabin quilt or wall hanging just for the fun of learning pp, but not because of problems. However you make it, it will be beautiful!

sharkee 01-11-2011 11:01 AM

I have made 2 of them now and neither of them were paper pieced. I used the Eleanor Burns book and it was very easy to follow. I actually just finished the one in my avatar and I hand quilted it.

I'm sure it will look wonderful however you choose to make it

yolanda 01-11-2011 12:01 PM

no paper = strips! I'll cut for you.

Originally Posted by kriscraft99
which method would you recommend?

Sadiemae 01-11-2011 12:24 PM

I wouldn't paper piece mine!

Lori S 01-11-2011 01:34 PM

It is not that hard of a block to piece. Just use Starch and a 1/4 inch foot. Starch your fabric before you cut . And then use your best method of a 1/4 inch seam , be it a special foot or other method.
For the time it takes to take the papers out .... not worth it for this block.
If this is your first log cabin , make it just a bit easier on yourself and make the center block bigger! Start of with a 3 inch square or maybe even 4 inch. so you do not have to go around the block so many times.

dunster 01-11-2011 01:45 PM

I enjoy paper piecing, but I wouldn't use it for a log cabin. If it's a square log cabin block, I cut the logs to size before sewing. For the diamond log cabin in my avatar, I cut logs a smidge too long and trim after sewing. Both methods work well, faster than pp with less fabric waste.

Quiltforme 01-11-2011 04:52 PM

I didn't paper piece I love just going with it!

MadQuilter 01-11-2011 05:13 PM

My second quilt (finished) was a queen-sized log cabin sewn using the strip method. It turned out nice and my sister still uses it. What I found was that I did better when I finished one block rather than the string piecing of the same order. That did not work for me.

sueisallaboutquilts 01-11-2011 06:11 PM

I think a lot depends on how narrow or wide the strips are.
If narrow I would say paper or foundation, otherwise not.

fleurdelisquilts.com 01-11-2011 06:15 PM

Log cabin is very easy and goes together quickly. You'll love it. I've never paper pieced it but I have lots of sewing experience. If you are able to sew accurate seams, just get busy. If your seams are not so accurate, try paper piecing cause that will help. Good luck!