Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   LOL I just burnt my carpet while ironing! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lol-i-just-burnt-my-carpet-while-ironing-t28299.html)

renee765 11-07-2009 06:45 PM

How smart of you to test the carpet for flammibility and meltability. Just claim you did it on purpose out of concern for you family's welfare. I'd buy that. And even if I didn't, I would pretend I did.

Renee

Mousie 11-07-2009 07:27 PM

well I was expecting you to say you dropped the iron on the floor. It has never occurred to me to use the floor to iron. I guess that's bc i can't get on my knee :roll: I knew there was a reason.
Gee, I guess that means my bum knee has saved my carpet! I knew there had to be some 'up' side, as to why I was hit by that truck! :?

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 11-07-2009 07:46 PM

Years ago when one of my sons lit the carpet in the living room on fire.....long story, I was able to make it look decent again by giving it a hair cut. I took very sharp little scissors and trimmed the burned ends off and then kind of tapered it at the sides so it didn't look like a divot. After a couple of weeks of dust piled back up on it, it was rarely noticed.

chattyK 11-07-2009 07:59 PM

While the Iron is on I put the hot plate close to the wall so my kittens don't get burned. So guess what does get burnt. The wall. I put it too close, one time too many. Glad the paint didn't catch fire.

The older I get the less brain cell seem to function sometimes.

mrsjdt 11-07-2009 10:32 PM

Been there----done that! But it was the carpet in my L R. Always had a "hassock" over it.

Olivia's Grammy 11-08-2009 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
Years ago when one of my sons lit the carpet in the living room on fire.....long story, I was able to make it look decent again by giving it a hair cut. I took very sharp little scissors and trimmed the burned ends off and then kind of tapered it at the sides so it didn't look like a divot. After a couple of weeks of dust piled back up on it, it was rarely noticed.

"DUST" I knew it would be my friend one day.

littlehud 11-08-2009 08:14 PM

We have all done some things like that. You did give me a good laugh though.

earthwalker 11-08-2009 10:49 PM

When I was little I desperately wanted my mother to iron a transfer on to my pillowcase. She was busy, so I decided I'd do it myself....on a vinyl dining room chair....what a mess...Glad no fabric was harmed...I mean, at least the important stuff was safe! Thanks for the laugh!

northern quilter 11-10-2009 10:56 AM

I thought I was the only one who did that. I have a pretty leaf design that i accidentally melted into my carpet when I tried to iron a great big quilt top. Who would have thought the fibres of the carpet would melt with a hot iron!!! I used an exacto knife to slice through the melted fibres and got most of it out.

carrieg 11-10-2009 01:44 PM

I think carpets have polyester and nylon fibers, so it melts. :shock: I do remember dropping the iron once - I started to attempt a catch, but thought better of that!