Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Lone Star Quilt gone wrong (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lone-star-quilt-gone-wrong-t99549.html)

IBQUILTIN 02-14-2011 04:26 PM

I'd try rechecking all of my seam allowances. They sure make a difference in a lot of patterns. Make sure they are exactly 1/4 inch

k9dancer 02-14-2011 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by gal288
Jillaine, It's heartbreaking, but has happened to all of us at one time or another.

You could try this, it will change the look somewhat, but at least it may save you money and time.

Measure each of the legs of all the triangles, establish a mean measurement. Let's say is 14", for example.

1)Cut 24 (1") strips of the most neutral fabric 14".
2)Sew a strip to the long legs of each triangle, carefully pinning to make it fit the strip.Some will have to be stretched, some eased.
3) In the center, sew 1 strip to 1 length, then sew another triangle to that strip, and repeat.

I did a quick scale in EQ to give you a visual. It's going to be work but less than ripping out all those squares. The pink strips are the adjustment.

I think this is a brilliant solution.

busygranny 02-14-2011 05:03 PM

Colors are beautiful---u can't throw it away. Leave it sit for awhile and then go bac k and try to rescue it.

galvestonangel 02-14-2011 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
It doesn't look that bad to me. I would block each piece to size using Sharon Schamber's spray starching technique. Here is a link to her video on how to stretch a block (she also has one on how to shrink a block):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQkF02vpVuw

The hardest part of doing this is drawing an accurate template for blocking purposes.

I agree, check out Sharon's tut and startch and reposition, I think that would work. I would try that before ripping and resewing which will be disasterous with bias edges.

butterflywing 02-14-2011 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by ktbb
Or, separate each of the dimonds and applique them to a solid background and add sashing, etc to enlarge the star design and hide the discrepancies in size...your own design.

that's what i'd do, using black bias 'leading'. you'd have to go all the way around each of the star pieces, but that should be okay. i think it would have the look of stained glass. you only need a very narrow strip between the pieces to make it right.

(i would never have the patience to unsew and resew. i give credit to those who do.)

jillaine 02-14-2011 07:04 PM

Update: trying the starch-blocking approach first. Three diamonds down; eight more to go. (I only have room to do one diamond at a time and it takes about 20 minutes to pin, spray, iron, spray, iron, spray, iron; then I let it sit for an hour.)

If this doesn't work, I'll next try the "cheating" approach suggested by Peg.

KarenBarnes 02-14-2011 07:20 PM

It looks kind of like my first. Mine was actually cut at the wrong diagonal. I had enough fabric to make another but still have the miscut diamonds that someday I will just sew in another pattern for a scrappy quilt! Someday...after I finish all the other fun ones that I've done over the years and plan to do!

Moondancer 02-14-2011 07:57 PM

If they absolutly dont fit and look good dont use them as a large star just use the diminds on their own put binding between them and have them as floating dimaonds. as last resort.

jitkaau 02-14-2011 08:03 PM

If you don't want to re - sew to make sure the seams are all the same width, try cutting them up ,add a few solids and other stuff and make a crazy patchwork quilt that will look fine.

jillaine 02-15-2011 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by IDquilter
They call it the 'lone star' because most of the time once you make one, you will never make another.

I just now saw this; somehow missed it. VERY funny.

By the way, I'm creating a tutorial from this experience.

-- Jillaine