Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Looking for a portable sewing machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/looking-portable-sewing-machine-t185756.html)

Dolphyngyrl 04-12-2012 04:02 AM

I love my two lower end brothers, got one refurbished on overstock.com and one from walmart, both are great little machines, never had a problem with either

jeanharville 04-12-2012 04:11 AM

Thanks for all your advice and info. I'm glad to hear the cheaper Janomes and Simplicity are good machines. I certainly don't want to buy one that stays in the repair shop all the time. I have been checking CL everyday, but nothing yet. I'm afraid to buy off Ebay because I want to be able to try the machine out.

Stitchnripper 04-12-2012 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl (Post 5134783)
I love my two lower end brothers, got one refurbished on overstock.com and one from walmart, both are great little machines, never had a problem with either

I too am very pleased with my lower end Brothers. I sew on 3 different varieties and they have never failed me. One is almost 10 years old and sews with any kind of thread on any kind of fabric.

BellaBoo 04-12-2012 05:39 AM

I bought my granddaughter the Janome Hello Kitty 3/4 size machine. It is not a toy and sews like my Janome Jem Gold. Also it is considered a collectible. Save the box!

wesing 04-12-2012 08:50 AM

allbrands.com has an 11# Janome for $119. They recently advertised that they are closing out the American-made Janomes, but I don't know if this machine is one of them.

Darren

DottyD 04-12-2012 08:56 AM

No doubt go for a Janome Gem. A brilliant little machine with a big heart -- a veritable little workhorse !! Love mine and even used it very well on a recent free motion quilting workshop !
DottyD.

JustAbitCrazy 04-12-2012 03:41 PM

There is also a Kenmore "featherweight" machine. It is model no. 158.10400, and at 20 lbs. is a bit heavier than a FW, but it has a stronger motor and can also zig zag. You can find them on ebay. They come with a nice case which has embossed roses all over it on the outside. There's also a storage compartment across the front which can flip over once without opening up, to give you a larger bed surface. Cool little machine! Check them out. :thumbup:

leggz48 04-12-2012 05:48 PM

If it's for travel, keep the weight as a priority along with sewing capabilities. I have a FW, but it is heavier than my Janome which travels nicely.

jeanharville 04-12-2012 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by leggz48 (Post 5136623)
If it's for travel, keep the weight as a priority along with sewing capabilities. I have a FW, but it is heavier than my Janome which travels nicely.

Leggz, which Janome do you have?

jeanharville 04-14-2012 06:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I bought a Janome DC 1050 yesterday and so far I really like the features I've tested. Not the best straight stitch I've seen (the dealer said it is because of the lack of a bobbin hook and he demonstrated with a Janome that did have the rotary hook and it did make the difference) but it will be fine for piecing and sewing seams where the stitching doesn't show. If I need to top stitch I'll use my Pfaff. I haven't tested the button hole attachment, but I will tomorrow.

I want to thank all of you for your suggestions. I was leaning toward the Janome, but needed some real-life quilters to comment on their experiences.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]327812[/ATTACH]