Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   machingers gloves or not? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machingers-gloves-not-t103543.html)

gypsylady5 02-28-2011 10:38 PM

They are a must when machine quilting. They will help feed the fabric through the machine with less wear on your hands. Go for it and get some. You won't be disappointed.

PS Stitcher 02-28-2011 11:08 PM

I use the gloves and think that they have helped tremendously. I find that my arthritic hands don't hurt as much.

katigirl 03-01-2011 12:19 AM

They definitely help. I even use them when sid quilting.

Conartist1945 03-01-2011 02:06 AM

I have the gloves and I love them. I do like the the Fons and Porter ones the best though. ( I have both)

minstrel 03-01-2011 03:09 AM

LOVE my Machingers. I wouldn't FMQ without them!

GrandmaLola 03-01-2011 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
I tried garden gloves and Fons and Porter gloves. I like the machingers the best. Personal preference I guess. Also have a supreme slider. I thought I loved it, then, forgot to put it on the machine and didn't notice a difference, so I stopped using it.

Ditto! Didn't like the Fons and Porter gloves; but love the machingers.

Pat G 03-01-2011 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by quiltin chris
I use my regular sewing machine to stich in the ditch and other straight line quilting. However, when I have tried to FMQ on my machine it seems there is so much drag. I wondered if those gloves by Fons & Porter or machingers would make it better.

What about the "halo" thingies I see in the catalogs?

I have the Supreme Slider and feel a little disappointed with that. $30 bucks for that thing!!!

Chris

I LOVE my Machingers. I not only use them for FMQ but sometimes use them for reg. sewing since they help me control the fabric. I forget to take them off.
After listening to others' experiences with the slider, I won't bother buying one.
There do seem to be a lot of doo dads out there when something we already have will do the job.

JoanneS 03-02-2011 12:40 PM

I use a lightweight pair of garden glove, and they work great - much cheaper than F&P's. Also use the halo and LOVE it. Depends on what I'm doing. The halo really grips the quilt, so I don't have to use my own muscles so much. My fingers don't get nearly as tired when I use it. Like anything else new, it takes practice before you're comfortable using it.

AnitaSt 03-02-2011 03:19 PM

I prefer the Machingers gloves too. Tried the Fons & Porter but the others are a better fit, more flexible, more comfortable overall for me.

I have the slider which I think helps but I also covered by foam quilting table with a good quality oilcloth (let me know if you want the source) and it is every bit as slick as the supreme slider thing. In fact, I have trouble with things sliding off of it when I'm not doing machine quilting.

Eileen 03-02-2011 05:33 PM

I use the gloves.