Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   machingers gloves or not? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machingers-gloves-not-t103543.html)

quiltin chris 02-27-2011 10:15 AM

I use my regular sewing machine to stich in the ditch and other straight line quilting. However, when I have tried to FMQ on my machine it seems there is so much drag. I wondered if those gloves by Fons & Porter or machingers would make it better.

What about the "halo" thingies I see in the catalogs?

I have the Supreme Slider and feel a little disappointed with that. $30 bucks for that thing!!!

Chris

purplemem 02-27-2011 10:17 AM

I use the machingers gloves and they work well. I got mine at jhittle for a discount.

Pam B 02-27-2011 10:20 AM

I use the machingers gloves when I FMQ. My hands do not get so tired. Don't think they help with drag, though.

HummerGardenCrafts 02-27-2011 10:21 AM

I have the gloves, but I've never used them yet. I've never machine quilted. I did attempt it at one time though.

blue10moon9 02-27-2011 10:35 AM

I do the following just prior to quilting a top...

Wax my wood table and sewing machine with Johnson's paste wax. Push my table up against the wall in a corner so the fabric doesn't fall off the edge of the table. Change my needle. Starch the backing fabric.

Yes, I use the gloves.

Happy Quilting!

Candace 02-27-2011 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by quiltin chris
I use my regular sewing machine to stich in the ditch and other straight line quilting. However, when I have tried to FMQ on my machine it seems there is so much drag. I wondered if those gloves by Fons & Porter or machingers would make it better.

What about the "halo" thingies I see in the catalogs?

I have the Supreme Slider and feel a little disappointed with that. $30 bucks for that thing!!!

Chris

Is your machine recessed into a table? The slider isn't going to do much for you if it's not recessed and you have a flat surface to work with.

LivelyLady 02-27-2011 10:41 AM

I have to use gloves. I have the ones from Fons & Porter, but also have a pair of cheap garden gloves with the nubs on the underneath which work as well as the expensive ones. It makes a world of difference :D :D

Antdebby1 02-27-2011 10:43 AM

Yes, I used the machingers gloves to quilt two recent projects. I thought they were great!

RkayD 02-27-2011 10:44 AM

I use my gloves when I am sewing the top together. they are almost like having another hand. I was told by a quilt teacher not to use them and go by feel...but I have the security of the top not slipping when I have them on. I've worn holes in 3 the fingertips of 3 pairs. =)

miss_ticky2 02-27-2011 11:06 AM

I use gloves..I got mine from the garden section at the hardware store..they work fine. I cut the end of the thumb and forefinger off so I can still pick up things..bits of thread, pins etc. Works for me :)