Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Making Quilt Labels by Computer using Freezer Paper (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/making-quilt-labels-computer-using-freezer-paper-t23493.html)

shaverg 07-31-2009 07:21 AM

Joan they are beautiful. I agree unless you treat your fabric with bubble jet or use a laser printer the ink will wash out.

amandasgramma 07-31-2009 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by shaverg
Joan they are beautiful. I agree unless you treat your fabric with bubble jet or use a laser printer the ink will wash out.

I'm fascinated with this....but what is "bubble jet"???? Where can you get it?

Ducky 07-31-2009 07:44 AM

Shaverg, is that what it is called? Bubblejet set?

Quiltntime 07-31-2009 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Joan
I make my labels this way, too.

The only is differance is that I embroider over the letters.

The ink will wash out. (There is some "stuff" you can treat the fabric with but I can't remember what is called. If used, printing will not wash out and you don't need to embroider)

I'll try to post a couple of my labels done this way. I like the versatility of being able to used differant fonts, etc. I always print the labels the color that will be embroidered over it, too.

Is the "stuff" called Bubblejet? Where can I find it?
BTW: Embroidering seemed to add that extra special touch we all want for our quilts. Very nice. :thumbup:

Esqmommy 07-31-2009 08:00 AM

How do you embroider over it? By hand? or by Machine? I just got an embroidery unit with my Bernina and it goes on it's own. How did you do that??? It's sooooo cool.

shaverg 07-31-2009 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma

You can order it online. It is sometimes hard to find in shops. It is about $16-25 a bottle, depending on where you can find it. You soak your muslin or whatever fabric you will use for your label. Let it dry then iron it onto the freezer paper and print it like you would the printer fabric sheets you would buy anywhere. Even though it is $23 the bottle is really big and it does not take much. It is called bubble jet set and there is also a rinse you can get to, I usually just use the set. Here is the site.

http://www.cjenkinscompany.com/Bubbl...t_2000_s/3.htm

Quiltntime 07-31-2009 12:33 PM

I make my labels this way, too.

The only is differance is that I embroider over the letters.

The ink will wash out. (There is some "stuff" you can treat the fabric with but I can't remember what is called. If used, printing will not wash out and you don't need to embroider)

I'll try to post a couple of my labels done this way. I like the versatility of being able to used differant fonts, etc. I always print the labels the color that will be embroidered over it, too.

More questions: :?: Do you have a special Internet site that you choose for your labels?

I have an HP Printer...I'm envisioning the freezer paper and fabric wading up somewhere in the printer. Hopefully, you'll tell me this never happened you. :wink:

amandasgramma 07-31-2009 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma

You can order it online. It is sometimes hard to find in shops. It is about $16-25 a bottle, depending on where you can find it. You soak your muslin or whatever fabric you will use for your label. Let it dry then iron it onto the freezer paper and print it like you would the printer fabric sheets you would buy anywhere. Even though it is $23 the bottle is really big and it does not take much. It is called bubble jet set and there is also a rinse you can get to, I usually just use the set. Here is the site.

http://www.cjenkinscompany.com/Bubbl...t_2000_s/3.htm

Since that's soooo expensive, I wonder if anyone's painted the surface with "painter's medium" first, let dry, then printed on the fabric?? That might work...I may try it this weekend...

Joan 07-31-2009 02:36 PM

I just hand embroidered the labels. It didn't take very long, I like to do handwork!

I just used the word processing program on my computer, typed what I wanted, made it the right size, picked a font, picked a color and printed on a piece of fabric backed with freezer paper. (the freezer paper is ironed on) Usually, I just print it out on a regular piece of paper to see if it looks okay. It's very easy......

(BTW, my first labels I had "made" at a machine embroidery shop---WOW, now that was expensive......)

Quiltntime 08-01-2009 07:29 AM

I just hand embroidered the labels. It didn't take very long, I like to do handwork!

I just used the word processing program on my computer, typed what I wanted, made it the right size, picked a font, picked a color and printed on a piece of fabric backed with freezer paper. (the freezer paper is ironed on) Usually, I just print it out on a regular piece of paper to see if it looks okay. It's very easy......

(BTW, my first labels I had "made" at a machine embroidery shop---WOW, now that was expensive......)

The hand embroidery you've done on your labels look very professional! I'm sure it took you hours to complete, but entirely worth the effort.

Now, after answering all these questions I've asked about printer labeling, I'm anxious to try this myself! Thanks everyone! :-) :-) :-) :-)