Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   The Mind Vs. Insomnia (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/mind-vs-insomnia-t119426.html)

ontheriver 04-28-2011 01:49 PM

I also wear headphones and listen to my IPod very softly. Puts me to sleep pretty quickly.

desertrose 04-28-2011 02:07 PM

I can totally identify with you what's a good night's sleep anymore...

I haven't slept more the 3-4 hours a night for the last almost 3 yrs. It started for me after the night sweats stopped...Is there an end? I hope so however, I just haven't found one yet...A glass of milk helps sometimes but not always...Sorry :-(

happymrs 04-28-2011 02:17 PM

You might try some exercising & see if that helps. I started going to Physical Therapy for my back, & he has given me exercises to do twice a day. I use to have trouble sleeping too, but no more! So, it's just a thought, but it sure is working for me!...

Mornigstar 04-28-2011 03:01 PM

Very different than most posts so far. I take no meds but yrs ago was introduced to meletonin--from health food store. Needed them about 4 times a yr.
Don't laugh now-- but recently I read the book --The Precious Present --actually discussing living in the present moment --which I heard Oprah mention one day. So at night after reading for a few min. I tell myself to live in the moment and go to sleep because that is why I am now in bed. Small book , easy read but impactful to me.

Tomorrow I will live in the moment again even when I am driving and therefore able to concentrate on anything I am doing. You can laugh now.
Wanted to mention that before this I was like you and did so much work (in my mind ) while trying to go to sleep.
Made so so many quilts too.

jbud2 04-28-2011 03:24 PM

I tried over the counter Melatonin and had the worse nightmare ever! I gave the pills to someone who thought they worked perfectly.

But a couple years ago I tried to teach myself to knit, making a scarf. I was almost to the end but didn't know how to bind off. I read a little and went to bed. But I kept waking up thinking about how to bind off. Finally I got out of bed and got on the computer and found out how to bind off.

And then fell right to sleep!!!

catmcclure 04-29-2011 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by NatalieMacDonald
Brother, I wish I could just turn my mind off and let me sleep! Went to bed thinking about challenging myself with untried techniques - Diane Gaudynski's artful FMG, borders, how about piping, etc. It just doesn't stop! Then I'm good for nothing the next day. I envy envy envy people who can sleep well.

I did watch a hail storm at 4 AM this morning.

Some of you can probably relate.

I'm sorry, but I can fall asleep almost immediately most of the time. I occasionally have problems, but only occasionally. I found out when I was a teenager (50 years ago) that I could use self-hypnosis to sleep. You should try it. It's not a hard technique to learn and it allows you to sleep naturally without pills.

DeeBooper 04-29-2011 04:19 AM

I used to work in an ICU. We had a standing order to give benadryl 25 mg and if needed you can give another 25 mg one hour later. At home I buy generic benadryl 25mg and I also take 2 extra strength tylenol with it. It really helps ,with very little after affect the next morning. (tylenol pm has 25mg benadryl..generic... and tylenol in it) but I find it works better using them the first way. Good luck getting some sleep. Also...no chocolate or caffeine after noon for me.

dixiechunk 04-29-2011 04:44 AM

Absolutely I can relate. As a teenager/young person I could blissfully surrender myself to sleep...sometimes probably too much according to my mother. But then I began a career in nursing - shift work, weekends, holidays, 12hr shifts, double shifts, extra shifts. That did me in. The last few years of my career, as menopause invaded, I worked 7PM to 7AM. So, I too, am lucky to get much more than 4-5hrs a night and that's usually broken up by trips to the bathroom. I am lucky, I can catch a nap during the day, I have friends who say they can't sleep in the day but I actually sleep better in the day.

Flo Pierce 04-29-2011 04:46 AM

After working Home Health Care all my life in the early sheft I'
find my mind and body are still in the same mode. So a good
book by the bed side helps to get me to sleep. But up at dawn
is the pits. I guess we all have our own built in amount of sleep
we need. 5 hours and I'm up and going. At 73 you'd think I
could sleep more. NO!!

FLO in NNY

dixiechunk 04-29-2011 04:51 AM

I tried ambien too, just didn't work for me. Didn't really help me sleep any better because of nightmares and I felt sluggish the next day. I am glad it worked for you.

Originally Posted by Grambi
I'm a retired RN and I worked night shift for most of my 30 years of nursing. A few years ago I asked my Dr if there was anything that I could take to help me sleep at night. I was unable to turn off my brain, regargless of how tired my body was. He prescribed Ambien and I have taken it ever since. I tell my doctor every time that I see him for a refill that this pill literally changed my life. My husband completely agrees. I plan on taking Ambien till the day I die and thank God for it every morning.