Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   MINKY, so cuddly and soft, such a pain to sew! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/minky-so-cuddly-soft-such-pain-sew-t177974.html)

tngal22 02-03-2012 10:53 AM

I have used Minky (from JoAnn's) for 30"x40" approx quilt. I pinned the quilt top with ALOT of pins since Minky tends to shift. Once I had the Minky nice and tightly pinned, I did straight line sewing (in the ditch actuallly) and didn't have any issues.

Minky is hard to sew with, from what I have found, because of the shifting so much. Pinning every couple of inches while making sure it is tight has helped greatly.

Tartan 02-03-2012 11:23 AM

I have never sewn with Minky but I would think you would have to treat it like a knit fabric. Use a ball point or knit needle, try not to stretch it as you quilt and do a simple design.

QuiltnLady1 02-03-2012 01:44 PM

The best way to do test stitching is to use exactly the same fabric/layers that you are making/quilting.

I find I prefer to stabillize minkee when I use it. I just finished one that had no batting and I used 505 to attach the minkee to a piece of muslin (that I had washed a couple of times to get all the shrink out) -- I have also spray-basted it to batting and to the quilt top (if I am not using batting). Minkee has 2 issues -- it is a knit and the back is very slippery -- by attaching it to the muslin, both of the problems were minimized. I have a healthy respect for anything that is that stretchy and that slippery.

From what I have heard, the LA folks do not have the problems that I have seen on a domestic machine.

judylg 02-03-2012 02:14 PM

Thanks for all of the suggestions, am going to pick up needles tomorrow when I am out. See I can end up in a quilt shop even when I do not want to and be tempted!

Havplenty 02-03-2012 02:24 PM

this would be my suggestion also. minky is strechy fabric and you need a ballpoint needle for it. that should help to stop the skipped stitches. ask me how i know.:)

Originally Posted by Lori S (Post 4937966)
Not sure what needle you are using. When sewing on Minky a ball point needle is recomended. It sure sounds like you have a needle issue. I also use my walking foot and increase the stitch lenght.

grammy of 6 02-03-2012 02:45 PM

I just made two throws today with Minky and had no problems. I zig zagged the self binding and it worked great.

CindyBee 02-03-2012 03:02 PM

Try using a strip of wash away stabilizer. I've had to resort to that before. After you sew the seam you can just spritz the stablilizer with water to dissolve it.

judylg 02-03-2012 03:13 PM

If the new needle does not work, yes the stabilizer will certainly be worth a try. Thanks.

ckcowl 02-03-2012 04:10 PM

what kind/size needle are you using? minky is a polyester knit- a knit needle (ball point) may help- i've backed about a dozen quilts with minky and found i have the best luck when using a good/new/knit needle- and poly thread- also slow down- and lengthen your stitch length.

Nolee 02-04-2012 05:41 AM

I completely agree to always take minky to a long-arm quilter. The price is ALWAYS BUT ALWAYS worth my sanity!!