Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Monthly Fabric/Quilting Allowance or Budget?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/monthly-fabric-quilting-allowance-budget-t146471.html)

PaperPrincess 08-20-2011 08:01 AM

I have an allowance of $200/month. It is to cover everything personal, including haircuts, magazines, books, classes, paper, fabric etc... Sometimes it's gone on the 1st of the month!

loves_2_quilt 08-20-2011 08:04 AM

I only pay cash, and only buy something if I HAVE to have to complete a project. I try to wait for sales and coupons. If my money is needed elsewhere that month then I don't get any fabric/supplies.

bearisgray 08-20-2011 08:05 AM

What some people have done for awhile -

Write down every single penny spent - and then evaluate what $ went where.

It's kind of shocking sometimes when one goes over one's expenditures with a "is this really necessary?" eye.

Faren 08-20-2011 08:09 AM

$50 a month for hobbies is all I can budget for now. We are in the process of becoming debt free. We should make it be Christmas! When the Sewing Guild went on a shopping tripping I did take along $75 not including lunch, that is a separate envelope!

LisaGibbs 08-20-2011 10:09 AM

Depending on what is going on that month (like having to get the kiddo ready for school) depends on what I buy. I am saving for a new sewing machine so everytime I use my allowance I keep in mind "could I save it for the machine or get instant gratification now??" I do buy what I need and always say to myself--when will I use this?? The shop hops are killing me with all the new discoveries I have been making--LOL

butterflies5518 08-20-2011 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by quiltstodo
I limit myself to 100.00 a month. When I go shopping I don't take credit/debit cards that way I don't over spend. And I wait for the sales and coupons. I keep the money in a separate coin purse and what I don't spend goes to next months purchases. That way I hopefully have extra by time the quilt show is here since there is always so much I want there. If I buy online I put that receipt in the coin purse and take out the money and put it toward the card I used online. Just my little game I play with myself helps to keep credit cards down also.

I like this, just blew my whole budget this month, going to do this come Sept 1, thanks for sharing

SharBear 08-20-2011 03:21 PM

Don't have a buget for fabric / quilting. BUT I only buy for specific projects - no stash building. And right now the projects are lined up deeper than I'm comfortable.

So, it goes in ebbs and flows.

JUNEC 08-20-2011 03:50 PM

We pay our credit cards off every month. My problem is depression - I find it hard to go out of the house, unless someone goes with me. Hence, I seem to buy more fabric online, which can become dangerous.....

teacherbailey 08-20-2011 04:13 PM

$50 per month but if I'm making gifts, I buy what I need.

Xstitshmom 08-20-2011 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by quiltstodo
I limit myself to 100.00 a month. When I go shopping I don't take credit/debit cards that way I don't over spend. And I wait for the sales and coupons. I keep the money in a separate coin purse and what I don't spend goes to next months purchases. That way I hopefully have extra by time the quilt show is here since there is always so much I want there. If I buy online I put that receipt in the coin purse and take out the money and put it toward the card I used online. Just my little game I play with myself helps to keep credit cards down also.

This is a wonderful idea. I think I want to try it to. But what I really need to do is not buy another piece of fabric until January. Maybe I will get caught up on the projects I have stuff for in my closet!