Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Monthly Fabric/Quilting Allowance or Budget?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/monthly-fabric-quilting-allowance-budget-t146471.html)

JUNEC 08-20-2011 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Xstitshmom

Originally Posted by quiltstodo
I limit myself to 100.00 a month. When I go shopping I don't take credit/debit cards that way I don't over spend. And I wait for the sales and coupons. I keep the money in a separate coin purse and what I don't spend goes to next months purchases. That way I hopefully have extra by time the quilt show is here since there is always so much I want there. If I buy online I put that receipt in the coin purse and take out the money and put it toward the card I used online. Just my little game I play with myself helps to keep credit cards down also.

This is a wonderful idea. I think I want to try it to. But what I really need to do is not buy another piece of fabric until January. Maybe I will get caught up on the projects I have stuff for in my closet!

Do you mean January 2013?? - That's about where I am.... until I see my next sale

RDM 08-20-2011 04:41 PM

What I buy now must be for a project as my shelves are filled with fabric waiting to be sewn. Used to be I bought what I liked when I saw it, now I feel pressed to use up what I have. Never went by a budget, but I pay my card off in full every month so that is a consideration. I've cut way back on quilting purchases. I buy now with less impulse and for current use.

Robinlee 08-20-2011 04:45 PM

I buy when I feel the "need". I don't have much for LQS or a Walmart with fabic here, so I have to plan my trips around what I might need.

luvspaper 08-20-2011 04:45 PM

I have "fun money" which is around $200 a month. However, a few months a year there is an extra paycheck. I tend to save up my fun money such that I have at least $100 at any given time.

My fabric/quilting comes out of that, but so do a lot of other things.....books, fun things for the kids, etc.

DH also has his fund like this and it works for us!

Quilty-Louise 08-20-2011 04:50 PM

Up until January 2009 I had a budget
of $300-$450 a month for my sewing &
crafting hobby.

Now days though I am lucky to get $10
to $20 a month.

deranged_damsel 08-20-2011 04:52 PM

I used to have around 200 a month to spend, now Dh is retired I spend about 20, mostly on thread and notions.

ckcowl 08-20-2011 04:59 PM

if you live on a budget it is important to include everything you spend money on each month- in order for your budget to 'work'
if you are on a tight budget you may need to assess what you spend your money on---do you have clothing in your monthly budget? do you actually need to buy clothes every month? it is usually a give and take thing- you start by keeping track of where your money is going- then decide where you could cut back- and re-assign where you would like to spend the money.
i do live on a budget- and no matter what the bills are paid first out of my pay check- then the gas tank in the car is filled- then groceries are purchased-
if i need something for quilting i then know what is left and what i can buy- we are very good at planning ahead for what ever we want to do outside of the normal day to day---if we want to take a long weekend and go somewhere we decide that 2-3 months in advance-and set aside and save for it- we reserve rooms, and pay for everything possible ahead of time-
if i know there is a good sale coming up-or if there is something that i need i can plan for it-
if i want to stop at the lqs on friday after work- i might skip that morning cup of coffee at the gas station all week- (since it usually includes a few other goodies-$5-$15 a day)
it just takes planning-organization- and taking care of the necessities first.
we do like many people kind of live paycheck to paycheck- but we have some extra for extras too- we just plan ahead and choose how we want to spend that extra-
i'm pretty good at not even looking (too much temptation) if i don't need anything- and if i do need something (quilting related) i shop around find the best prices- and make sure i either do not have to pay shipping/postage fees- or if i do they are very low....if i need thread- and the company i shop with has free shipping at $50 i will also buy battings-or other things i also need to get that order up to $50- i hate paying shipping-when it's so high i could buy a whole yard of fabric with it- or more...so i only shop where i can get it cheap or free...or i buy locally where i don't have to worry about it.
i might go 3-4 months without buying anything quilting related---then i might spend $200-$300 --- it all depends- but i save and plan for it regardless if it's a package of needles- or a new fabric collection.

Faren 08-20-2011 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by teacherbailey
$50 per month but if I'm making gifts, I buy what I need.

Oh, yeah! Forgot to mention if it is for a gift, I can take it on of that envelope! That is 50 a month too.

tmg 08-21-2011 03:29 AM

I don't have a budget. I help out an elderly lady at her house when she needs me. I also help out an elderly man doing his ironing about once a month. I use that money for my hobbies. I don't like to use household monies. :thumbdown:

MrsGuava 08-21-2011 03:40 AM

I shop at yard sales. I also buy fat quarters when i can get them cheap. I use my 40% coupons for single cuts of fabric and batting. The craft/fabric stores who issue coupons often will take a competitors coupon. ASK.
If I see a fabric I love, i buy two or three yards. We have Mennonite quilt shops which are high quality/lower priced stores.
I have to paint my sewing room. When I do that I will put my fabric on shelves instead of in bins so I know what I already have. I also do not use credit.