Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Moratorium on Fabric Spending (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/moratorium-fabric-spending-t196310.html)

Jennie and Me 07-31-2012 07:13 PM

I've jumped on the "buy no fabric" bandwagon and fell off so many times and have just finally said it is what it is. I have way too much fabric, but I love it. I love to look at it and pet it and envision what it will (hopefully) become one day. I will say that I would really, really have to LOVE a piece of fabric to pay over $7.00 a yard anymore. I buy what is on sale mostly. I did make up a list to buy from an online store last week...all on sale. Totaled right at $100 without the shipping. Thought about it long and hard and even though the fabric was on sale and I really wanted it, I tore the list up. Yay for me!! When I told my hubby about it, he said, "Why didn't you order it?" He is an enabler.
I figure, if push comes to shove, I can always use my stash for insulation if we have a severely cold winter!
So, here's to all of us fabric addicts....gotta love us!

ThreadHead 07-31-2012 07:37 PM

Well, our Walmart closed down over a year ago and now is opening up a new fabric department this week.
I will be buying my fabric at the place which has the cheapest prices with the best fabric.
Da da-- da da da--- da da da-- da da da-- da da da-- da da da da, boom boom, honk honk, clang clang.

sylviak 07-31-2012 07:50 PM

I've cut back severely on fabric buying. When I moved everything to my shed, I ruler folded all my fabric. I was so surprised to see all the fabric I had! I've been quilting from my stash (that I can now SEE!) since about March. However, I bought an embroidery machine.....and thread.....and stabilizer.....and embroidery scissors...and etc. So I'm not sure I've saved anything. But I'm really having fun! I did hit a garage sale last month and bought a bunch of fabric, but I've already used some of it and it really was a good buy. I'm trying........

Pilgrim 07-31-2012 07:57 PM

I am still buying fabric and I am a hoarder of it. I have one room that is full of fabric. It is all organized and I love it but I know that I need to really limit what I buy. I will not purchase material that costs that much. I will use a coupon or buy on sale if it gets that high. Ninety percent of the quilts that I make are donated and this will force me into not making as much to give away. I love making quilts to donate and although I never get to see the people who get them I still love doing it. Guess I will have to be careful in the future.

lalaland 07-31-2012 08:13 PM

I've not stopped buying fabric, but really slowed down. And when I see it on sale, I really check it out now to be sure I get a good quality to the feel fabric. No matter how much I like it, if it isn't decent, I don't buy it.

Swan Song 07-31-2012 08:30 PM

I haven't bought fabric from last December until our last local shop hop in April. I bought only what I needed to finish or add to planned projects and only on sale. This month I bought fabric to start on Christmas projects. Mostly I bought the focus and added from my stash. I did buy fabric for Bow Tucks for my DD and DGDs for Christmas only because they wanted something specific. So my spending has slowed way down. I plan to use my stash and only purchase what I don't have to add to something. No impulse buying.

burchquilts 07-31-2012 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Chester the bunny (Post 5409293)
Gave up that crazy notion years ago when I went to the fabric store on Jan 2nd to buy thread..... then walked into a thrift store where some quilter had just brought in some of her stash. I left the store with a huge bag full of FQ's for $12.00 .... I need an intervention...

Carole

You & me both. I can't count how many New Years I've made the resolutionto just buy what I need to finish up a project (like border fabric) & then about week 2, I'm off the wagon. And it's not because I actually need any fabric. I have enough to supply all of us here for about 10 years. I can't help it... I'm an addict! I have been trying to be better about waiting till stuff is on sale (except at Connecting Threads since their stuff is so well-priced to begin with), but I still fall off that wagon, too.

rj.neihart 08-01-2012 03:42 AM

My sewing room is so full of material, all sizes, shapes, colors, even put up a few book cases to organize it all. And then we hit yet another auction and I came home with another truck load of material. Not once, but twice! I have so much material, I've begged my DH to stop taking me to these auctions! I have no more room - and I'm a neat freak - so hopefully he won't drag me along for a few months! I saw this comic in the newspaper, where 7 women sat in a circle, introduced theirselves and one said "Hi, my name is anne, and I haven't purchased fabric for a whole week." Others clapped. Guess it's an more of an addiction than I realized.

ka9sdn 08-01-2012 04:07 AM

Guess I belong with you. I have only bought one piece in the last 5 months because I needed the color to work in an applique quilt. I have been using my scraps to make give-away quilts so that drawer is looking better. I have enough fabric to last me till I die and then it will just be given away so I am happily sewing it away! Surprising what you can maike with what you have, you liked it when you bought it so use it!

Lori S 08-01-2012 04:18 AM

I tried to stop buying a few times.. but when I fall of the wagon... I fall off hard.