Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Moratorium on Fabric Spending (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/moratorium-fabric-spending-t196310.html)

SunlitenSmiles 08-01-2012 09:31 AM

well for two years now I have only purchased what was absolutly needed to finish a project. my DD has a basially unlimited fabric budget, so the projects that have suddenly appeared, she buys the fabric and I make her take the leftover pieces home with her ( she is one who will say "oh, the rest of the bolt", if she really likes something ) We have actually made entire projects from my stash and that is fun also. I will keep working from my stash and eventually will make a 'dent' in it but in the meantime my DD has a DDIL who we are teaching to sew and she is totally bitten by the sewing bug, and she just gave birth to a Daughter (my Great GrandDaughter) who has beautiful long fingers to sew with and a stash (leftovers from baby quilt and crib skirt) already started.

kyquiltlover1942 08-01-2012 10:17 AM

I took the vow this January also. I had not been in a fabric store since until last week. I was finishing my scrap charm quilt, and needed seven more fabrics. I had 1081 different squares. I needed 1088. I did some embroidery on a couple of pieces, put some lace fabric on a couple of others. I finally did go to Joann's, BUT I only bought 2 fat quarters. I figure anyone with that much of a stash, does not need to shop for several more years!

JoanneS 08-01-2012 10:42 AM

I decided to stop buying at the beginning of '11 unless I was desperate. Since then, I've only bought a batik jelly roll for a Sue Hausman class making Mondo bags - and 3 more batik jelly rolls to make more Mondo bags - LOL. They're very adictive! She didn't say we had to buy batiks, but they called out to me at the Tucson Quilt show last Jan, and I couldn't resist! But that's it! I'm almost finished with 2 quilts for DGD made from dresses I made for her when she was 5 or 6 - she's a 20 yr old soph in college now.

PenniF 08-01-2012 11:48 AM

made the same pledge myself...and to finish my UFOs.....have done pretty well so far - buying only backing and batting and only bought new fabric for 1 quilt - my solution - stay out of JoAnn's entirely and when i go in to get batting - walk down the OTHER non-fabric side of the store to get to the back !!!!!

quiltmom04 08-01-2012 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by gollytwo (Post 5407871)
I promised my son 6 months abstinence a couple of years ago; and I did it.
Unfortunately, the next day I spent a fortune.
Never would try it again - somehow deprivation sends me over the edge.

Just like with chocolate!!

nhweaver 08-01-2012 12:24 PM

I have tried the fabric moratorium, but I had to adjust "the no new fabric" as I didn't know that I will be doing "quilts for Kids" this year. I have passed on some good fabric "on sale" when it didn't have a purpose - but I am addicted to ebay fabric listings on large yardages for backings on the quilts for kids. I did slow down the buying, I feel real good about that. My stash has doubled in the 6 years since I retired. (maybe tripled) I can say that I think I have added less than 20 yards to the stash in 7 months. And that is a miracle for me!!!

nhweaver 08-01-2012 12:28 PM

I love your beadwork! It helps to sell and get some $$ to buy more!!!

Originally Posted by IBQLTN (Post 5410828)
Sorry for the duplicate, my first picture post and I can't figure how to get the extra one out!

Here's the other one I meant to post.[ATTACH=CONFIG]352932[/ATTACH]

jcrow 08-01-2012 12:28 PM

I wish I could quit buying fabric! I can't. It's my downfall. That and notions. I know prices are high, but it doesn't stop me. I buy fabric at least once a month, which, really isn't that often. But I splurge when I buy. My shop owner loves me!! I think I pay her electric bill.

nhweaver 08-01-2012 12:31 PM

Instead of thinking of her as the "evil twin", think of her as "the fabric fairy". She is like the tooth fairy, fabric gets used up, and she gives more than was used.

Originally Posted by Maire (Post 5410385)
I too was successful with my goal of not to buy more fabric until I use up at least 1/2 of my stash. But sadly I discovered I have an evil twin who sneaks in new fabric because I keep finding it in my sewing room. She must do it when I'm busy cleaning house or cooking. LOL
Maire

JanetLovesSewing 08-01-2012 03:39 PM

I once went several years without purchasing fabrics. Then, you know what happened. I now shop at two quilt shows - Road to California in January and the Long Beach International Quilt Show at the end of July. I am now at the point where I can spend less than $20.00 at each show. One day, I hope to reach the $0.00 mark. We shall see. Of course it helps that I do not have room in my little house for one more fat quarter, let alone yards of fabric.