Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Moratorium on Fabric Spending (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/moratorium-fabric-spending-t196310.html)

connietoo 08-02-2012 05:58 AM

I was forced to stop buying when we retired and are now on Social Security. BUT.....I had been buying kits and fabric for years and years!! Now I am going back to what I have and its like Christmas! I call it my savings account that I can finally tap into !! LOL Some of my kits are so old they call for templates!

Stitchit123 08-02-2012 06:26 AM

15 months and 18 days but the end is in sight. One of my GDs picked out a piece of stash and it needs a couple solids to go with it and the other 2 GDs quilts need 2 different shades of pink to finish them. DIL and 3 GDs and I are planning a trip to Springfield for school cloths and shoes -Hancocks and as many thrift stores as we can. We already have a list of addresses and she has a GPS. So all we need now are our comfy shoes.

charhend 08-02-2012 07:30 AM

If Connecting Threads would stop sending e-mails about their sales I might be able to stop buying! Yesterday I spent $183.00 on their Mirage fabric for backings. On sale for $2.96 per yard. I purchased enough for seven quilts. I also bought some for other projects. I think that will be it for a long while.

MargeD 08-02-2012 07:53 AM

While not a conscious effort, since having lost our house and with it my huge sewing/fabric stash room, I was forced to "purge" nearly half of my fabric and other supplies. However, in 2 years I doubt that I have spent $50 on fabric/quilting supplies, and I was able to make the family reunion quilt without buying background/backing fabric, as even my niece supplied the batting - a nice feeling. Now I am concentrating on making baby quilts, placemats, table runners, totes, bags,etc., etc., to get ready for a craft fair in Nov. I willneed to buy more batting and fusible fleece though, but it's nice to use up the fabric I bought when I was working and could afford it.

colleen1978 08-02-2012 08:06 AM

I made the same resolution and haven't bought any 'new' fabric...I have bought pieces from Vinney's...and I have an order ready in the shopping cart at Connecting Threads just waiting. I'm trying to talk myself out of buying!!!

gaevren 08-02-2012 08:07 AM

I have never had a stash like most quilters and sewers do, but I had a small stash of fashion fabrics and quilting fabrics. We moved recently and got rid of or sold nearly everything. I kept my machines and some of my fabrics, but sold the rest. I must have sold a thousand dollars worth of fabric and books and magazines for $100! The lady who bought them was ECSTATIC, and I don't blame her one bit! I thought about charging more but this move was so sudden and happening so quick that we were really in a huge time crunch and everything was priced to SELL, lol.

So now I just have a few different fabrics, and to be honest, after realizing how much fabric I just had laying around that I didn't use for years, I don't find it difficult to resist fabric sales. If I don't have a project waiting for it, I don't buy it, simple as that. It may be the most AMAZING fabric EVER, but you know what? I always come across another perfect fabric at some point or another too!

jillaine 08-02-2012 01:35 PM

Yeah, ain't Connecting Threads just awful and mean!??!?? I saw their message yesterday about their sale on Mirage fabric. The timing was simply AWFUL! ;-)

I hit the delete button.

I'm also unsubscribing from a lot of the other online stores' announcement emails. Not all, but a lot.

bjcombs2022 08-02-2012 02:21 PM

I started almost 2 years ago and can honestly say that I have only slipped twice, and only for 1 project each! I have used just my stash for the rest of my quilting, about 12 quilts! For a couple of them I needed to buy 1 fabric to complete the project or a backing! Withe the price of fabrics today, I am so glad I had such a huge stash! I understand that the price of cotton has come down but it will probably be a while, if ever, we see a price change!

carolaug 08-02-2012 02:28 PM

I have been doing the same...did by 2 yards of white border fabric since I have been using so much of my scraps to make quilts. I have a lot of fabric!! I did also have to have a 1/2 yard of the Cat in the Hat...thinking I need a few more of those panels...for my future grandkids

skothing 08-02-2012 03:52 PM

I tried but failed. I love fabric. A local lady that taught quilting was sick and her children cleared her things out. I purchased 6 boxes @10 per box. I did ask are you sure you want to sell all her things.? They wanted it all gone ,now. I felt so sad. I hope my fabric that I love isn't treated that way.