Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Muslin As Quilt Backing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/muslin-quilt-backing-t213891.html)

trolleystation 02-16-2013 07:21 PM

I think that muslin is a perfect choice for a quilt back.

Scakes 02-16-2013 07:30 PM

I've used it many times and have always been happy with it.

charlottemarie 02-16-2013 07:38 PM

I use muslin as a backing on most of my quilts. I just think of it as a good thing because nobody sees it as often.

suzanprincess 02-16-2013 08:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Krystyna (Post 5865469)
Suzanprincess, I'd love to see a photo!

Krystyna, I do not have a photo of the quilt, but have attempted to attach a very similar one from my saved Word files. We'll see if this works....

Grandma58 02-16-2013 08:09 PM

Yes I have and yes I will use it again in the future, it is so soft when it is washed and it reminds me of my grandmother.

SoBuzy 02-16-2013 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Krystyna (Post 5864733)
Thanks for all the advice. Muslin it is! There has just been so much talk about making quilt backs "fancy" that I was afraid it was too old fashioned. BUT ... I LIKE old fashioned!

Agree, hope all is getting a bit better for you after Sandy...my heart and prayers go out to each of you...but so delighted wall hangings are on your agenda....I absolutely love a good quality of muslin....just purchased some today! I use it as background for some of my scrappy quilts and just thought perhaps I would use for backing! I also use Kaufmann Kona.....depending on my preference....but that's what makes each quilt personal and special! However, I would suggest you wash it first or at least a bit of it with measurements so that you know shrinkage, etc before using it on your project....hope you share when you are finished!

Rose Bagwell 02-16-2013 09:45 PM

I use it all the time, not always but most of the time. I use to use it only for small wall quilts, but I notice that the quilts you buy in the stores, most of them have muslin backs. I try to buy it by the bolt with my Jo Ann 40% off coupon. I buy the 90 wide and the best quality I can get. My friend uses it also.

karate lady 02-16-2013 11:44 PM

I use muslin for my backs almost all the time. Just a few exceptions (son's flannel quilt) It comes in nice wide widths, I savemy 50% coupons for it and it reminds me of old quilts. I prefer uncleached for backs, and I have some bleached for piecing...Wish I could find a buy like yours. smile.......

DOTTYMO 02-16-2013 11:51 PM

This is a question within a question. Certainly use the muslin on the back and to piece with. Now somebody mentioned it was boring ,........? Is it possible ti dye the muslin either for the backing or piecing ?.....?

ghquilter53 02-17-2013 03:36 AM

I use extra wide muslin for backing on civil war repro quilts, 30's repro quilts, and wallhangings. I also use it for quilts that are just for me and not gifts.