Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My eyes were bigger than my quilting skills (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-eyes-were-bigger-than-my-quilting-skills-t59752.html)

Quiltforme 08-18-2010 05:43 PM

fun good luck

deirdre ann 08-19-2010 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by SharonC
Put it aside and come back to it once you've got a little more "hands on" with some other projects. I'm always starting something, putting it aside and going back to it. If I was 5 I'm be diagnose with ADHD, as it is, I'm just fickle :) :).
You can do this!!!

love your answer, made me smile!

catrancher 08-19-2010 07:15 AM

Once you have the fusing medium you'll see that applique is easier than you think. I've never done needle-turn applique. I usually do raw edge or blanket stitch. I'm guessing your eagle will be needle-turn. I try to avoid hand sewing as much as possible because my hands can't take it.

quilt3311 08-19-2010 08:22 AM

You can do this. Just take it one small step at a time. Just follow the directions one step at a time. You will do fine. AND please share a picture when you get it done.

Beginner64 08-19-2010 09:27 AM

Remember the old saying that you can do anythintg that you set your mind to? You have the kit and instructions, take it one step at a time and if you run into problems you can ask anyone here for help or read your quilting books for information. I know you can do it, take your time and have fun with it.

klgreene 08-19-2010 09:58 AM

I'm not exactly sure which pattern this is, I think I do, but I'm not telling my husband about it, he'd want it. So no one tell him....

peppermint31 08-19-2010 10:00 AM

my avatar is appliqued. When I order the pattern online, I had no idea that it was appliqued. I thought it was pieced and when it arrived I was so mad that I put it in a drawer for a couple years. Finally I decided that I would attempt it. A friend in our quilt guild offered to help me and that is all it took. I really like applique. was just afraid of it. Not any More!!!!!!!!

plainpat 08-19-2010 11:00 AM

I so envy ppl with the talent & nerve! to do applique. Love the look, but my fingers are soooo unhappy with needle work.Good for you...will be watching to see pics.Sorry I can't be any help.

wanderingcreek 08-19-2010 05:54 PM

I too have a project like this. I recently ordered a pattern called Earth Wind and Fire from the Bigfork Bay Cotton Company. It is a horse applique and I want to make it for may daughter. It looks way more complicated than anything I have ever done before but more than anything I want to make it for my daughter for Christmas as she was really there for me during a recent hospitalization and through my recuperation which all in all took 3 months. She loves horses and I want to show her how much I appreciated everything she did for me. I tried applique for the first time on a baby quilt (which is in with the rest of my UFO`s right now but I am hoping that by taking this one step at a time, I will be able to accomplish this pattern and I am sure that you will too. The one thing I know about applique is that patience is a virtue as eventually you will get the piece in the right spot. Good luck to you.

zz-pd 08-19-2010 08:09 PM

You can do it. Just do a little at a time. God bless.