Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My first quilt, i'm not loving machine quilting....lol (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-first-quilt-im-not-loving-machine-quilting-lol-t146775.html)

Tweety2911 08-22-2011 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by RoRo
I do not like to machine quilt one little bit. Purchased a Bernina Aurora 440 Quilters Edition. Can do fairly well with the walking foot, but using the very, very expensive Bernina Stitch Regulator is a disaster. Was told by dealer there was definitely a "learning curve" and have made many attempts. Now my dealer has gone out of business. Have been sewing for 60 years so have much experience. Before buying the Bernina I had three Singers and wish I had the Touch and Sew back. Disgusted in Texas!

Are you using the BSR? I have this machine and bought it because of the BSR but hated it. I do FMQ without and love it!

carrot 08-22-2011 05:08 PM

Keep quilting !! It really does get better with time-- If you looked at one I did 10 years ago to the one I am working on now-- BIG difference !!!!! A few years ago a quilting board newsletter explained how to lay out your entire quilt and then secure just the middle third... cut away the batting on the outside thirds.. quilt the middle.. then add one side of the batting back on.......this really works !! I am almost done with a king size quilt and I have not had to fight it at all
:-D

totosmom 08-22-2011 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by carrot
. . . A few years ago a quilting board newsletter explained how to lay out your entire quilt and then secure just the middle third... cut away the batting on the outside thirds.. quilt the middle.. then add one side of the batting back on.......this really works !! ....

Wow. That is intriguing, Carrot. And so logical. But how do attach the outer thirds when it comes time to quilt them?

carrot 08-22-2011 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by totosmom

. . . A few years ago a quilting board newsletter explained how to lay out your entire quilt and then secure just the middle third... cut away the batting on the outside thirds.. quilt the middle.. then add one side of the batting back on.......this really works !! ....

Wow. That is intriguing, Carrot. And so logical. But how do attach the outer thirds when it comes time to quilt them?

your quilt top and backing are still in one piece-- it is only the batting you cut a third away on each side-- so only the batting you have to reattach.. does this make sense ?

jollyquilting 08-22-2011 06:01 PM

I have quilted a couple of quilts by using the decorative designs on the sewing machine and that makes is pzazz a little and looks neat.

Jingle 08-22-2011 06:04 PM

I enjoy every step of making a quilt. I pin the sandwich together, on my glass topped dining table. I would never be able to do it on the floor, I don't get how to do it and my knees couldn't do it either.
Instead of SID I have done( although not alot) sew about a 1/4" from the seam line using the walking to keep the stitches straight, I much prefer FMQ, I try for perfection but after lots and lots of quilts they are not perfect. I just like a large stiple.

totosmom 08-22-2011 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by totosmom

your quilt top and backing are still in one piece-- it is only the batting you cut a third away on each side-- so only the batting you have to reattach.. does this make sense ?

OK, so it's just the batting that you cut away, but when you reattach it, do you just add it into the sandwich and keep on quilting or do you join the batting with ZZ stitching? I imagine that would be terribly awkward ... so I guess not. Just curious!

5j'squilter 08-22-2011 08:57 PM

I HAVE A GAL DO ALL MY QUILTING AS I CAN AFFORD. MAYBE 1 OR 2 A YEAR, AND YES IT IS PRETTY EXPENSIVE. I PAID 60.00 FOR A 60 X 75 BUT I DIO NOT LIKE TO DO EITHER HAND OR MACHINE QUILTING

5j'squilter 08-22-2011 08:57 PM

I HAVE A GAL DO ALL MY QUILTING AS I CAN AFFORD. MAYBE 1 OR 2 A YEAR, AND YES IT IS PRETTY EXPENSIVE. I PAID 60.00 FOR A 60 X 75 BUT I DIO NOT LIKE TO DO EITHER HAND OR MACHINE QUILTING

5j'squilter 08-22-2011 09:02 PM

You bet . I like this method too. lol