Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My husband says I am not a quilter... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-husband-says-i-am-not-quilter-t61571.html)

gramma8 08-26-2010 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by GrammaNan
My husband says that I am not a quilter, I am a "Collector"! I have so many projects started and waiting to be started that I am overwhelmed. Does anyone else feel that way? What have you done to feel better and get things done? Have you given things away just to get things to a manageable level?

The principal of a jr. high that I worked for, told me to always set my priorities. Which letter needed to be typed first, etc. It has been my motto ever since, and so, I finally came to terms with my quilting projects - finish ONE project and while you are finishing that ONE project, you can figure out which project you need to go to next, to finish. FINISH is the key word. I have made a lot of
progress that way. It makes you feel so 'good'!!!

Cuilteanna 08-26-2010 10:58 PM

I have always called myself a "quilting supply collector". I buy fabric and notions and tools but rarely produce anything with them!

I am a "one at a time" person (in fact one project had to be packed away whilst I work on another that has a deadline coming up), but that doesn't stop me picking up new future projects along the way.

knlsmith 08-26-2010 11:19 PM

Me too! Lol

Gerbie 08-27-2010 12:39 AM

I guess I am a rounder, I wonder around from quilt project to quilt project. I have two tops currently finished but batting and backing only attached to one, but not finished quilting it yet, have had a lot of trouble with it. I am doing it by machine quilting no long armer near. I am currently working on one I've put away off and on, hope to get all three of these finished before October Fall Fair. I also have three others partly finished and still just on my ufo list. I have four in mind with fab. and patterns for ones that I want to do as soon as possible. I eventually get them finished but I have had too many interuptions this summer. So I am a "quilt-a-rounder" I guess. But I am having fun all along the way, and that's what's important. This is my stress releaser.

plainpat 08-27-2010 02:42 AM

I give myself a "time out" so to speak.Might go wks...or even a few mos without working on a project.Just reading about quilts,buying a couple
new patterns,some fabric etc helps me restart with fresh eyes.

Spending time here,saving tips/tutes/pics........sorting thru other saved
quilting info,tossing some etc.It works for me.

My husband says that I am not a quilter, I am a "Collector"! I have so many projects started and waiting to be started that I am overwhelmed. Does anyone else feel that way? What have you done to feel better and get things done? Have you given things away just to get things to a manageable level?

ganny 08-27-2010 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma

Originally Posted by ganny

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I am the same way only difference is I decided to give away the fabrics I won't be using for the price of shipping. I may do it again in another month. I decided if I am not using it then it needs to go to someone who will.

Seems like I never have the right kind of material I need for my next quilt! Even scrappies, I never have the right kind of "scraps". How do you get an abundance?

I got an over flow totally by accident. I shop the thrift shops and went thru a phase several years ago where I bought every piece of quilty fabric I could get my hands on I couldn't beat the $.50 a yard price. Now I try to work from my stash. I did say try but sometimes there is that fabric that you have to have for a quilt. So it isn't working to well for me. I even give my scraps away for shipping costs. No use in keeping them either.

I'm interested in your fabric. ;)

Conniequilts 08-27-2010 03:35 AM

Greetings - we are all related!

First I ran through all my hiding places, gathered up all my projects and put them in one place. Took a picture, made myself count what was there. Posted that here :)

Then I took the projects I could and ironed them and hung them in the closet. Decided there were four I did not want to do, so sold the panels (thank you to those that bought them). The remaining ones I am working through.

That is not to say I haven't created more, thanks to this great board, but they don't get hidden and they don't require any new material purhases - so I don't count them :)

So one by one - rather than two by two :) - I am getting through my collection of things that need to be done.

fabricfairy 08-27-2010 03:38 AM

Dont worry I a "Overwelming collector" and I love it
cant say no if someone wants to give me fabric, sewing
stuff , but I am have the time of my life , and dont intend to stop.

Minnesewta-sam 08-27-2010 03:41 AM

Collector here...books, patterns, notions, fabric, fabric, and fabric. I love it all!!

quiltinghere 08-27-2010 03:43 AM

PROVE HIM WRONG!!!! Start sewing and quilting projects.

Won't that give YOU great satisfaction TWICE...proving him wrong AND getting project completed.

Say NO to buying for a while...I know it will be difficult if not impossible...