Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My UFO collection is out of control! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-ufo-collection-out-control-t28971.html)

Honey 11-19-2009 07:09 PM

About 6 months ago I really opened my eyes and looked at my sewing room. OMG :roll: :roll: It is next to the kitchen so whenever someone didn't know where to go with something, guess what :!: Well, I started cleaning and tossing. It took me longer than I like to admit, but finally got done. I rearanged and got totes for everything and labeled them. My DH took off the closet doors and made shelves for me. So I had even more space. Then I went to work on UFO's. I would only allow myself to start one new project and then would finish one old one. I am now down to 2 quilts that need to be finished :!: :wink: :!: :wink: I am so happy and I feel great about it :D :D When I get all caught up, I will let myself work on only 2 projects at a time. My sewing room is staying clean (I had to make a few threats :oops: :oops:) and I can't believe how much I am accomplishing :!: I am so proud to be organized at last. Life is good :!:

Boston1954 11-19-2009 07:27 PM

Last year I counted my UFO's, and there were 24. TWENTY-FOUR!!! Well now there are about 18, so I am making some progress. Yay!! I am really trying not to start to much new stuff before finishing some older ones.

charismah 11-19-2009 08:45 PM

I did use that SEW as a pun..earlier in thsi post..hehe! But I have to say..I went adn dug out all of my WIP's or UFO's and It was not as bad as a thought apparently my OCD is good for something? I have the one I rescued form the yard sale....will finish that this week...and I have a few different embroidery quilts that need to be embroidered....and then my scrap quilts that I am working on now....oh and a few quilts that are peiced just need ot be quilted. So basically what I am saying is that it is not something to overwhelming...now what I want to know is .....

What about all of the kits, stash and future projects??HMMMMM I have three trunks full of those...those things you buy on a whim because they are so cute..or they are on sale or because they were *NEW* :shock:
Well I don't think I could get those caught up in the next year for sure....unless I quit school and quit life and stayed in my PJ's sewing all day???? :shock:

So I would like tos ay that I will quit buying things...but how hard it is when you work with it every week?? :oops:

cminor 11-20-2009 07:12 AM

I know this is not the point of this post - but reading all this makes me excited! As a beginner quilter - only 1 completed (and not all that great might I add!) I can't wait to get to the point that I take a look at my stacks of fabric, and unfinished projects!!

I have I think 1 jelly roll my aunt gave me - thats about it right now other than old fabric from other things in the house.

My husband says he will turn the extra room into a sewing room, but I have to make sure this sitcks first. Can't blame him.

Anyway - my 2010 motto will be "start it!" :D

Iluv2quilt 11-20-2009 07:18 AM

Good for you!! That sounds like a great goal for me too!

My problem is for every old project I work on I start something new to take it's place. Then I end up with a new UFO.

Iluv2quilt 11-20-2009 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Honey
About 6 months ago I really opened my eyes and looked at my sewing room. OMG :roll: :roll: It is next to the kitchen so whenever someone didn't know where to go with something, guess what :!: Well, I started cleaning and tossing. It took me longer than I like to admit, but finally got done. I rearanged and got totes for everything and labeled them. My DH took off the closet doors and made shelves for me. So I had even more space. Then I went to work on UFO's. I would only allow myself to start one new project and then would finish one old one. I am now down to 2 quilts that need to be finished :!: :wink: :!: :wink: I am so happy and I feel great about it :D :D When I get all caught up, I will let myself work on only 2 projects at a time. My sewing room is staying clean (I had to make a few threats :oops: :oops:) and I can't believe how much I am accomplishing :!: I am so proud to be organized at last. Life is good :!:

Wow Honey!! Congratulations! I used to be organized :roll:

tlrnhi 11-20-2009 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
oh, my dear, how totally i relate to your dilemna and your feelings.

i made the same resolution for this year.

don't ask how well i'm doing.

just don't ask. :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So Patrice....how well are you doing? lmao

Pzazz 11-20-2009 07:56 AM

I don't think I dare make any promises for at least the first part of the new year. I booked my hand surgery for Jan. 6. Guess my goal will be to see how many books I can read!!!! LOL I already have several quilts planned, so I dont' think I want to load my plate with any more planning 'til I am able to get back to sewing again. And then I get to start all over with other hand!!! :(

Harmony 11-20-2009 08:02 AM

Sounds like a good plan--start with the small stuff and work your way up. I always get bogged down when I get to the part where the stuff has to actually be quilted. Doing it by hand takes forever, and I just don't have the money to send everything out. My machine quilting skills are pretty limited, so they just sit there until I get motivated to do something about them (that's about one a year!)

Boston1954 11-20-2009 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by cminor
I know this is not the point of this post - but reading all this makes me excited! As a beginner quilter - only 1 completed (and not all that great might I add!) I can't wait to get to the point that I take a look at my stacks of fabric, and unfinished projects!!

I have I think 1 jelly roll my aunt gave me - thats about it right now other than old fabric from other things in the house.

My husband says he will turn the extra room into a sewing room, but I have to make sure this sitcks first. Can't blame him.

Anyway - my 2010 motto will be "start it!" :D

Looking forward to having UFO's I LOVE it!! You can borrow a dozen or so of mine, if you promise to finish them....