Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Mystery Quilts - have you done any ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/mystery-quilts-have-you-done-any-t179790.html)

Lucio 02-19-2012 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Fabriclovr (Post 4989689)
Wow, I would have been really disappointed as well, especially if I had to pay for it. I would have never expected to hear that all she did was sit in the back of the room. A teacher is supposed to do just that, teach! Even if it is a mystery, you should always be walking around answering questions and talking to the people that have paid to be there.

Although I can't walk around and talk to everyone, I can talk to you via this board when we do a mystery and if you anyone has a question, it is more than likely that others will have the same questions. With me being able to answer one, I answer all. Does that make since? Please don't let one bad experience turn you off from mystery quilts, they are fun to do if you like puzzles and quilts at the same time.

I am hosting another one April 14&15 here on the board called Blue Skies and I expect to have a large turn out, so it should be a lot of fun and a great way to celebrate the end of tax season! Click on over to the link or the link in my sig line and read all about it. Hope to see you then!

She did answer a few questions either from the very few walk-arounds she did or from her seat. The one thing I got from her is her suggestion that we go to the Dollar Store and buy a package of eyebrow razors to use in unsewing seams.

sharon b 02-19-2012 04:54 PM

I didn't know you could get eyebrow razors at the dollar store ... will have to check that out , thanks for the tip

bjdemir 02-19-2012 05:04 PM

I am working on my 4th one at this time. Have given 2 of them away and have the first one on our bed at this time. The one I am working on now is SW colors and will eventully go on our bed as well. It is what Hubby wanted. Hope he likes it as he has no idea I am making it.

OHSue 02-19-2012 05:09 PM

I have not done one and they sound like fun, but I just can't seem to get behind one. I started one of Bonnie Hunters mystery quilt, but lost interest. I guess I need to know where I am going to really keep motivated. And she had you cut triangle to piece hst instead of my usual method and I really didn't like sewing them that way.

nonnie60 02-19-2012 05:26 PM

I also love them. It gives me a reason to use some of the material I 'just had to have'. I try to do as many as I can manage.

mountain deb 02-19-2012 05:41 PM

No, do not have the time. Do not have the inclination either. Here is the biggie, do not have the Patience.

Havplenty 02-19-2012 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b (Post 4989742)
I didn't know you could get eyebrow razors at the dollar store ... will have to check that out , thanks for the tip

i didnt know that either but they are $1 at the hair supply places also. i will check on this next time i am in the dollar store.

Lucio 02-20-2012 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Havplenty (Post 4989924)
i didnt know that either but they are $1 at the hair supply places also. i will check on this next time i am in the dollar store.

Actually, I think they are probably sold at any store in that price range. I bought them at the 99 cent store but I think they are only in a few western states. They usually blow out pretty fast and I am guilty of buying 10 packages to give one razor to every member of my quilting class.

QuilterMomma 02-20-2012 10:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I did the Aboutquilting.com mystery quilts two years in a row now. I do like doing them. [ATTACH=CONFIG]313821[/ATTACH]This is how it turned out. I learned a new sashing technique that was fun. Learned a bit more about dealing with pastels. yes, I am addicted to them. I am thinking of joining the one on the board that is coming up in April. Worse yet, i get addicted to doing challenges and contests.

Havplenty 02-20-2012 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by QuilterMomma (Post 4991829)
I did the Aboutquilting.com mystery quilts two years in a row now. I do like doing them. This is how it turned out. I learned a new sashing technique that was fun. Learned a bit more about dealing with pastels. yes, I am addicted to them. I am thinking of joining the one on the board that is coming up in April. Worse yet, i get addicted to doing challenges and contests.

is your quilt from the 2012 about.com mystery challenge? i was thinking about doing theirs also but i wasnt particularly fond of the one from last year so i passed. i do however like your quilt. if it is their current mystey quilt project, i will go take a look at it.