Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need advise on making a log cabin quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-advise-making-log-cabin-quilt-t35239.html)

hokieappmom 01-28-2010 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by brushandthimble
I love making log cabins, the last I made is mine, all the rest have been qifts.

I am also working on one with appliqued stars i hope to have completed in Feb.

Verrrrrryyyy pretty!

Jingle 01-28-2010 06:47 AM

All the log cabin quilts are just beautiful !!! I like them best with white or off white for the light colors but, that is just my taste. I have never seen an ugly quilt of any kind. I am sure whatever you decide will be beautiful. I have found cutting the 'logs' certain sizes makes the blocks the same size and not much trimming. I have some pictures of them in the picture section and my avatar was cut like this also. Your quilt is beautiful and I would redo the borders, you will be much happier in the end.

humbird 01-28-2010 06:48 AM

k3n, I would like to see your quilt. I have made a couple using that method. Easiest way to go I think. Of course, I don't mind doing hand work. Actually enjoy it! This method was so easy that two of my daughters each made one, and had never quilted before, or even sewed much!

OmaForFour 01-28-2010 06:51 AM

WOW! That is an absolutely gorgeous Log Cabin Quilt! I have a question= quite a few members have mentioned LQS. I am fairly new and would like to know what that stands for.
OmaForFour

marta 01-28-2010 07:04 AM

I am a big fan of Log Cabin Quilts. Right now, I am making another log cabin. The first was with Civil War Pictures down the center. Although there are places where the workmanship isn't so good, I still love seeing it.
As for how to make one, I did mine with foundation piecing, and it is great. I can give you the address for a quilt shop which sells the paper for it.
I learned from a friend it is easy to make without foundation. Just cut a 2and 1/2 in. square of Red, put a light piece on one edge, move to the next side, another light piece, then the other edge, a dark, the last edge another dark. Then keep going like that.
I am willing to bet that as you get going, you will have plenty of fabric. I just used scraps, which I have so many of, I see no end to them.
If you have any questions about my reply please email me:[email protected]

Marge Q 01-28-2010 07:08 AM

Very nice log cabin!

illinois 01-28-2010 07:17 AM

I'm interested in how you hand quilted your Log Cabins. Do you stitch in the ditch or do some sort of design? Not interested in machine quilting but would like suggestions on the handwork.

quiltingbea 01-28-2010 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by OmaForFour
WOW! That is an absolutely gorgeous Log Cabin Quilt! I have a question= quite a few members have mentioned LQS. I am fairly new and would like to know what that stands for.
OmaForFour

Local quilt store (shop)

SSTeacher 01-28-2010 07:43 AM

Eleanor Burns has a great "Quilt In a Day" book for the Log Cabin quilt and it is fantastic. Several different ways to lay the blocks but the method, as stated on this Board, is the strip method and it goes very fast. When you sew your last strip, all of your blocks are finished since you work on all of your blocks at the same time.

k3n 01-28-2010 08:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by humbird
k3n, I would like to see your quilt. I have made a couple using that method. Easiest way to go I think. Of course, I don't mind doing hand work. Actually enjoy it! This method was so easy that two of my daughters each made one, and had never quilted before, or even sewed much!

Here it is - it's just a little lap quilt and the hand sewn seams on the back have softened up nicely after a few washes. :-D