Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need help please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-please-t12422.html)

Bevanger 10-20-2008 06:35 AM

THANK YOU.... I see it done on TV all the time. I just can't seem to do it. I think my biggest problem is slipping ruler..... I'm gonna go to Joanns and check these out OR get sand paper at the Dollar store

Bevanger 10-20-2008 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Loretta
I guess I am different from everyone else Bev. I only cut the two layers at a time. I never get perfect cuts when I do more than that. And I use clear gripper cling wrap on my rulers. Do you have a ruler with the lip that locks it over your cutting mat? that helps me the most.

no I don't. I gotta get embroidery floss today at Joanns, so will check it out AND those non slip dot deals

SC 10-20-2008 07:25 AM

Do you have a hot glue gun? I put a small dab of hot glue on the top & bottom of the back side of my ruler & absolutely no more slipping! And if you want to remove it, just peel it off. I have found this to be a great solution to the slipping problem. Good luck!

Bevanger 10-20-2008 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by SC
Do you have a hot glue gun? I put a small dab of hot glue on the top & bottom of the back side of my ruler & absolutely no more slipping! And if you want to remove it, just peel it off. I have found this to be a great solution to the slipping problem. Good luck!

hrmmmmmmmmm i do have one..... why on top?

Izy 10-20-2008 07:32 AM

Bev, I was having the same problem of the ruler slipping as I reached half way up, then I discovered if I spread my fingers and rest my little finger actually on the cutting mat it stabilises the ruler and alerts me if I am pushing it over as I feel the pressure more on my pinkie....so to recap : spread fingers as wide as possible using thumb as well, position little finger right at the edge of the ruler but on the cutting mat...hope this helps you, it certainly helped me, I like some of the tips here though, and will try a couple out soon :D

Just thought of another thing that you can do, ONLY cut a short area say 6" at a time, double check the ruler then do another short length...double check repositioning your hand further up the ruler as you go too!!

Bevanger 10-20-2008 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Izy
Bev, I was having the same problem of the ruler slipping as I reached half way up, then I discovered if I spread my fingers and rest my little finger actually on the cutting mat it stabilises the ruler and alerts me if I am pushing it over as I feel the pressure more on my pinkie....so to recap : spread fingers as wide as possible using thumb as well, position little finger right at the edge of the ruler but on the cutting mat...hope this helps you, it certainly helped me, I like some of the tips here though, and will try a couple out soon :D

Just thought of another thing that you can do, ONLY cut a short area say 6" at a time, double check the ruler then do another short length...double check repositioning your hand further up the ruler as you go too!!

I'll try this. Whats hard is this darn weakness I have on my left side from brain tumor) Sometimes when I'm holding ruler down, my hand shakes a bit.

SC 10-20-2008 07:46 AM

Sorry, I should have said "each end" instead of top & bottom.

Joan 10-20-2008 08:10 AM

Bev, I have the same problem. I've found (besides ironing and getting the fabric folded just "right"), I move my hand holding the ruler like a spider as I cut the fabric. When you finish, your "holding hand" has moved from the bottom of the ruler to the top keeping even with your rotary cutter. (be

pocoellie 10-20-2008 09:03 AM

I had the same problem until I read a book by Marti Michelle and she was saying that she cuts her fabric lengthwise not selvage to selvage. That's the way I do it now. My 2 cents worth. Hope you get some good tips.

racnquilter 10-20-2008 09:33 AM

Another thing I have found that helps me with cutting strips, is the ruler that has the cutter attached, I think it is made by Fiskar's. Have only seen it at Wal-mart. It somewhat has a rubber strip on one edge that helps to hold it in place while you are cutting and long enough that you can pretty much cut a regular fold of fabric normally.