Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need help with pre-wound bobbins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-pre-wound-bobbins-t133153.html)

cassie69emt 06-27-2011 05:48 PM

I always use prewound and found if you take your finger and gently run the bobbin around in your hand the end will pop out I love prewounds because of the fact that you can stitch out a bigger design with less change outs you can also put a couple in a plastic bag like you use for sandwiches and gently toss them around in the bag like you are trying to coat meat with flour. Hope this makes sense.

Sheila D 05-21-2019 07:31 PM

My machine takes Singer #15 plastic sided bobbins. I have 3 thread boxes, , they hold 64 large spools and can hold the bobbin on the same tab as the thread. Sulky Slimline Universal Slimline Storage Box, so I have lots of colors. I bought 2 boxes of 36 prewound bobbins, the only duplicates were the black and white. Anyway...today I could not find the end of the thread, so now I'm here. I tried all the suggestions. I ended up closely looking at several bobbins I had not started to use yet, with a magnifying glass. They all had the end of the thread in the center of the spool. I had been trying to find it on either of the sides. I went back to the problem one and used the scotch tape pressing on the center all the way around, and the miracle happened and the end showed itself. I hope this helps.

Grace creates 05-21-2019 07:55 PM

I think better to throw out rather then donate to a thrift shop. I often shop in thrift shops and would not want to purchase this frustration. Just a thought.

Originally Posted by LeeJay (Post 3560409)
There is no end to catch with scotch tape, tweezers, etc. As mentioned earlier, it seems to be a continuous loop. With a lot of cuss words and crude gestures, I have managed to use up several of my bobbins, but I believe I have come to the end of my rope and will probably donate them to a thrift store -- let someone else deal with them. Thank you all for your replies. It has been good to know that it has not been my ineptitude.
LeeJay

MemaG 04-08-2020 04:46 PM

Use tape

Originally Posted by LeeJay (Post 3559464)
I normally wind my own bobbins, but I found some Singer pre-wounds at a really good price, so I bought a bunch of them. I am having so much trouble finding the end of the thread to start a new bobbin. Is there a trick to this, am I inept, do I need a special code word-- or what? I really like the convenience, but am getting ready to toss them
LeeJay

I suggest using a piece of tape and dab it around the bobbin then pull it off gently. You might also try using an eraser to run over the bobbin threads. Hope this helps! I found the tape works best I put it around my finger at the top and just go all around the bobbin until the thread pops up.

1Nanoo 04-09-2020 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree (Post 3560180)
Now, now, now; Singer is a very reputable company. I don't believe any one is saying they aren't. Just that those pre-wound bobbins are one of those things that you get what you pay for. Take heart. Look how many of us have posted to this topic. ;)

I bought a brand new Singer Heavy Duty machine a bout 3-4 years ago. I have not needed it because I was using other machines; so I just set it (covered of course) under a table in my sewing room. Last month my other machine malfunctioned; so I just pulled out the new Singer. I have been sewing for years; so I do know how to sew. I set the Singer up and threaded it and put a full bobbin in. Imagine my surprise when I pressed on the foot pedal and I could hear the motor running, but the machine would not sew a stitch. It is back under the table, and I will not ever be buying another Singer. I have a Janome 9400, a Bernina, and Elna, and a Necchi. They all work. Considering Singer as a brand, I am really not in the frame of mind for "now, now, now."

Peckish 04-09-2020 05:49 PM

To be fair, she did post the "now, now, now" comment nine years ago....

QuiltnNan 04-10-2020 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by 1Nanoo (Post 8376388)
I bought a brand new Singer Heavy Duty machine a bout 3-4 years ago. I have not needed it because I was using other machines; so I just set it (covered of course) under a table in my sewing room. Last month my other machine malfunctioned; so I just pulled out the new Singer. I have been sewing for years; so I do know how to sew. I set the Singer up and threaded it and put a full bobbin in. Imagine my surprise when I pressed on the foot pedal and I could hear the motor running, but the machine would not sew a stitch. It is back under the table, and I will not ever be buying another Singer. I have a Janome 9400, a Bernina, and Elna, and a Necchi. They all work. Considering Singer as a brand, I am really not in the frame of mind for "now, now, now."

A couple times, friends had this issue... their bobbin winder was engaged. changed that and all was fine. I hope your problem was this easy.