Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Needle guard for a 9 year old? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/needle-guard-9-year-old-t304544.html)

Nana to 8 05-06-2019 03:57 AM

I didn't learn with a needle guard. My grandies sew on a small Janome and a hand treadle. I tell them about sewing through a finger, all things have a problem, that's life and I love my grandies dearly but life has dangers including needles on sewing machines. Therefore be careful.

coopah 05-06-2019 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 8249508)
As a Grandma I do not want the drama of a needle in the finger of a grand. Buy the pressure foot with guard. The kids can learn the hard knocks on their mom's time. LOL

Exactly right! Good thinking!

klswift 05-06-2019 05:17 AM

I teach young kids and I do not use a needle guard. I have them keep their hands flat and that keeps them away from the needle. I do set my machine on the slow mode so it doesn't get away from them. I also spend some time discussing safety (more worried about scissors and pins than I am the sewing machine).

ckcowl 05-06-2019 07:09 AM

My granddaughters started sewing with an inexpensive Brother machine set up on their little- just their size- Care bear table & chairs when they were 4. I never heard of ( or thought about) a Needle guard. We never had any issues, the only thing I never let them do was touch the rotary cutters or iron. They could cut with scissors or bring me what they wanted cut. I never let them use the cutters until they reached 18. They started being allowed to iron at about 12

Batik 54 05-06-2019 07:59 AM

I gave my 5 year old granddaughter a sewing machine for Christmas. I a planning on getting a finger guard because as we get better we will "live more dangerously". I leaned over to move her fabric and she stopped her machine and said "Nana you scared the life out of me. Your fingers never belong there." She preceeded to give me a safety lecture. So I really think it depends on the child.

Mousie 05-06-2019 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts (Post 8249390)
Janome's hello kitty is a great machine.
there are a lot of guards made, generally they fit in the needle post were you can put one of these guides for quilting even distances.

lots of images herehttps://www.google.com/search?q=need...w=1366&bih=625

I'm all about vision so don't want anything in front of my eyes.
And we've heard lots of stories here about adults running the needle through their finger...it is all about attention I think?

I bought two of the mini Janomes for my granddaughters and they work great for
an affordable price.
I've read that many women buy them to take to their guild meetings bc they are
so lightweight.
Youngest dgd "bedazzled" hers with shiny stickers and their initials.

Manalto 05-06-2019 09:45 AM

I used to work in a nursery and sometimes customers would specify that they wanted no plants with thorns. When asked why, they'd declare that they had young children. "OK," I'd say, "but I bet your children are pretty smart."

Jcarpentier 05-06-2019 10:27 AM

Thank you all for the information and the insight!

momsbusy 05-07-2019 04:29 AM

I started sewing on a machine at about six. I never had a guard and I was never injured. I did sew slowly. If your machine has a speed setting, you could slow it down a little bit. The iron was scarier.

tuckyquilter 05-07-2019 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jcarpentier (Post 8249333)
Good morning,

I am wondering if a 9 year old beginning sewist should have a needle guard on the sewing machine? Also, what kind or model sewing machine would be best for her? She sews a great straight line andI am not looking for much more than something that is a basic machine (i.e sews forward, backward, and a few decorative stitches) Thank you so much for any input! Have a wonderful day.

Great Idea. I should get something that will protect young sewing kiddos that come to my home. Thanks for the reminder.