Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Needle reminders (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/needle-reminders-t143018.html)

gaevren 08-06-2011 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Dakota Rose
I cannot read the stuff on needles either. I have a tomato pin cushin just for machine needles and have used a fine tip pen to put the needle # in each section. I put them in the section when I open the package so I always know what it is.

That's what I do too! That was going to be my suggestion. I have a couple different tomatoes because there are so many needles- the different numbered sizes, and then there are the "E" series for my embroidery needles of different sizes, "B" for ballpoint, "M" for metallic...and so on! It makes it so much easier to keep track AND I don't have to hunt through a million needle packs to find the kind I want!

amma 08-06-2011 10:25 AM

I tape the package that the needle came out of onto my machine. This way I know what I am using, the painters tape holds it, but doesn't leave any residue :D:D:D

QuiltE 08-06-2011 12:46 PM

If your post-it notes don't stick, then just write onto painters tape and stick it to your machine to keep track as to what is in your machine.

I also do that if there's some specific settings I am using for a project, so that when I go back to the machine, I know exactly what they were.

mamahippychicky 08-06-2011 01:09 PM

There are some great ideas here!

Cindy2sew 08-06-2011 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
If your post-it notes don't stick, then just write onto painters tape and stick it to your machine to keep track as to what is in your machine.

I also do that if there's some specific settings I am using for a project, so that when I go back to the machine, I know exactly what they were.

Great idea! Thanks!

Cindy

patchsamkim 08-06-2011 07:44 PM

I have a quilted mini quilt made of muslin which I have divided into sections quarterly and diagonally so there are 8 divisions. I have stitched on the dividing lines, the mini quilt is bound, and I used a sharpee marker to write on each section what the needles are. I have made 2 of these. One I use for the basic needle sizes, and the other I use for specialty needles.
As I take a needle out of my machine, I put it onto the correct section of my mini quilt, and take out the needle I want to change to. Works really good for me, and if I can, maybe tomorrow I will post a picture so you know what this looks like.

Cindy2sew 08-06-2011 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by patchsamkim
I have a quilted mini quilt made of muslin which I have divided into sections quarterly and diagonally so there are 8 divisions. I have stitched on the dividing lines, the mini quilt is bound, and I used a sharpee marker to write on each section what the needles are. I have made 2 of these. One I use for the basic needle sizes, and the other I use for specialty needles.
As I take a needle out of my machine, I put it onto the correct section of my mini quilt, and take out the needle I want to change to. Works really good for me, and if I can, maybe tomorrow I will post a picture so you know what this looks like.

I would LOVE to see this. Please post it so we all can see!

Cindy

GrannieAnnie 08-06-2011 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Cindy2sew
Ok, I admit I am getting older (52) and I have difficulty remembering which needle is in my machine! I switch projects a lot and change my needle (when I remember) to the project I am working on so I could end up with an denim needle on a embroidery project. (Its happened)
I need some ideas how to remember which needle I have loaded in my machine. I have tried post-it notes on the front of the machine but I find they fall off too easily. Any suggestions?

Cindy

How about making some tiny magnets to stick on the front of the machine--with some sort of ID.

Scissor Queen 08-06-2011 08:10 PM

I have a craft box with compartments just the right size to hold needle packages. I put one size and type of needle in each compartment. I have two machines so I use two different buttons and drop on in the compartment of the needle that's in the coresponding machine.

Sandy-lou 08-06-2011 08:17 PM

colour cade them with a light coat of different colour nail polish on base of needle and container