Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Needle reminders (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/needle-reminders-t143018.html)

QuiltnLady1 08-06-2011 09:56 PM

I have a clear plastic extension table on my machine and I put the needle box I take the needle out of under the table in front of the machine. I tried other things, but this works best for me.

AliKat 08-06-2011 10:18 PM

I bought one of those big red pincushions with a strawberry emery attached at JoAnn's on sale. It already has the decorative thread dividing it up into sections. I then marked it off into smaller sections using a Pigma Pen and marked each section with a specific needle type & size. I put a large flower head pin in the section of the needle type & size that is currently in my sewing machine.

I think this cost me about $1 as I did this years ago.

ali

mar32428 08-07-2011 03:10 AM

This is why I love this board. Even the simplest problem has so many different solutions. You all are better than all the quilt mags rolled into one.

sc-sunshine 08-07-2011 03:26 AM

I love these suggestions

It'sJustMe 08-07-2011 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by patchsamkim
I have a quilted mini quilt made of muslin which I have divided into sections quarterly and diagonally so there are 8 divisions. I have stitched on the dividing lines, the mini quilt is bound, and I used a sharpee marker to write on each section what the needles are. I have made 2 of these. One I use for the basic needle sizes, and the other I use for specialty needles.
As I take a needle out of my machine, I put it onto the correct section of my mini quilt, and take out the needle I want to change to. Works really good for me, and if I can, maybe tomorrow I will post a picture so you know what this looks like.

Please post a pic. My mind was recently going in this direction but hadn't quite figured it out. Sounds like what you've done would be perfect for me.
So many great ideas posted - love this board.

JeannieT 08-07-2011 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie

Originally Posted by Cindy2sew
Ok, I admit I am getting older (52) and I have difficulty remembering which needle is in my machine! I switch projects a lot and change my needle (when I remember) to the project I am working on so I could end up with an denim needle on a embroidery project. (Its happened)
I need some ideas how to remember which needle I have loaded in my machine. I have tried post-it notes on the front of the machine but I find they fall off too easily. Any suggestions?

Cindy

How about making some tiny magnets to stick on the front of the machine--with some sort of ID.

Be careful if your machine is computerized - the magnets will damage it....

coachmatthewsvhs 08-07-2011 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
Color code them with a perminent marker, I do it.

This would be my way if I had more than one needle!!

ka9sdn 08-07-2011 04:11 AM

Straw idea is great. Thanks. I post a note on my machine when I change the faceplate to the single hole so I can start my small squares and not have them pull down into the bobbin area--just remove plate when done so I can zigzag.

Babs194068 08-07-2011 04:12 AM

Love the straw idea thanks

jitkaau 08-07-2011 04:12 AM

The needles that I buy are colour - coded.They have little bands at the top of the shaft -blue,green maroon,gold etc.Perhaps you could buy those to make it easier for your memory?