Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Needles???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/needles-t129217.html)

margecam52 06-10-2011 07:08 PM

I change my sewing needles at the first sign of a skipped stitch. My embroidery needles are changed every other purchased bobbin.

My longarm needles I change every 4 queen size quilts (about 8 hours, which is the standard).

Marge

Originally Posted by TJDesigns
How often do you change your needles? What size do you use for piecing? Machine quilting?

lauriequilts 06-10-2011 08:34 PM

I change my longarm needles with every quilt, but I am a little lax on doing it with my sewing machine. I sew every day and change the needle on my sewing machine about once every couple of weeks....I know, I'm bad :)

purplefiend 06-10-2011 09:21 PM

I use Schmetz or Inspira microtex 80/12 for piecing quilts, 90/14 for flannel quilts.
For machine quilting: 90/14 top stitch
I change them after every project, sometimes more often.

judi wess 06-11-2011 05:11 AM

I like to change the needle when they cause a knocking sound.

Susie Quilter 06-11-2011 02:23 PM

Too funny. lol

Originally Posted by JUNEC

Originally Posted by Susie Quilter
I am not a good one to ask on this question....I normally change my needle when I break it and that is not good.

You have been in my sewing room and seen me sewing

TJDesigns 06-11-2011 06:38 PM

Thanks for all the good advice. I will watch for joann's to have their 60% off and stock up on them.

Marion T 06-11-2011 07:29 PM

I change the needle about every eight hours of sewing, but much more frequently when quilting.

bjdemir 06-11-2011 07:41 PM

I do try to change mine fairly often. I just inherited my DSIL,s 1985 Pfaff. She has never used. Her hubby did once in a while, and when he passed away she gave it to me. In a beautiful cabinet. We had it services and I was trying it out - sounded really bad for a just serviced machine. So I decided to change the needle. purred like a kitten. She said she didn't think the needle have ever been changed since 1985!! Maybe some kind of record! The needle will definately been changed more than once every 28 years!

purplefiend 06-14-2011 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by bjdemir
I do try to change mine fairly often. I just inherited my DSIL,s 1985 Pfaff. She has never used. Her hubby did once in a while, and when he passed away she gave it to me. In a beautiful cabinet. We had it services and I was trying it out - sounded really bad for a just serviced machine. So I decided to change the needle. purred like a kitten. She said she didn't think the needle have ever been changed since 1985!! Maybe some kind of record! The needle will definately been changed more than once every 28 years!

What model is your Pfaff? I have two: a 1222E and a 2040

bjdemir 06-14-2011 07:43 PM

Purplefiend: My Pfaff is a 1222. The only thing missing is the hard cover, as it came in a beautiful cabinet. Of course, the hard cover could be in the attic or somewhere at DSIL. But I can live without it. Hope to give this sewing machine to my Granddaughter later (she is 6 now) and wants to learn to sew.