Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New seam ripper.....this is cool! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-seam-ripper-cool-t180984.html)

Donna in Mo 02-29-2012 04:17 PM

Joanns code

Joanns has .29 shipping today with LEAP29 code. Great time to order one.

faykilgore 02-29-2012 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by ncredbird (Post 5018407)
Years ago my son left a head lamp on the counter that he had been using for some cave exploring. It is a light with elastic straps that you wear on your head. I grabbed it and used it to do some work with the seam ripper and it worked great! They now have them with LED lighting and most are under $10.00. Nice thing is you aim them to point right where you are focusing with your eyes. I use it any time I have to use the seam ripper as aging eyes need more light. Some like a jewelers light actually have a magnifying glass attached. Ann in TN

I LOVE headlamps! Especially for quilting in dark corners when others are watching TV. As for the lighted seam ripper, I prefer to use my "halo" lamp, which is a round fluorescent light with a magnifying glass in the center and use a regular seam ripper or razor blade.

Just an FYI, has anyone heard of using navy thread on black so you can see your stitches if you have to rip them out? It does help!

gmloves2quilt 02-29-2012 04:59 PM

I got one from one of my secert pal's and i love it .The light is great and it is sharp. It dose work for failing eyesight.

faykilgore 02-29-2012 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by MistyK (Post 5019129)
What is a surgical seam ripper? Is it sharper than others? What is a really good quality ripper? I just sewed a whole length of my quilt on backward and am going to have to rip it out. LOL this thread is quite interesting to me as you can see.

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT! Bless your heart. You will probably never do it again. Using the seam ripper to cut every few stitches, like every fourth one or so, then you can just pull the long thread from the other side and it comes apart. I'm an expert in ripping out mistakes ;)

CAS49OR 02-29-2012 05:35 PM

This reminds me of the eyebrow tweezers with the light, does it really help? I have a "whisker" shaver with a light, it does not help. It doesn't shine where I want it to.

burchquilts 02-29-2012 06:50 PM

Seam ripper? Did somebody say seam ripper? I am a seam ripper addict! But my problem is that so many of them are either (a) too dull or (b) to wide. But... if y'all like this one, I may have to look at it.

Damsel in DisDress 02-29-2012 07:38 PM

Using a seam ripper as we speak! Could definitely use a new one! Thanks for the tip!

kathdavis 02-29-2012 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Handcraftsbyjen (Post 5015549)
Crud....I didn't read the fine print...it's online only at Joann's. :-(

There is only $.29 shipping today for Leap Day at JoAnn's.

connie_1936 02-29-2012 08:41 PM

got one and love it. my LQS ordered it for me. $10

MistyK 02-29-2012 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by faykilgore (Post 5020154)
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT! Bless your heart. You will probably never do it again. Using the seam ripper to cut every few stitches, like every fourth one or so, then you can just pull the long thread from the other side and it comes apart. I'm an expert in ripping out mistakes ;)

I would hope that I would never do that again, but I am a slow learner. It is inevitable. I have one but it is so dull that it wouldn't even separate melted butter. I like the idea of getting every 4th stitch then pulling the long one. Surely that will make it simpler. Thanks!