Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New seam ripper.....this is cool! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-seam-ripper-cool-t180984.html)

Freddie 03-01-2012 03:19 PM

I don't know if anyone has posted this here before, but in our quiltgroup we have been using these eyebrow razors for quite a while. I still have one regular seamripper, which is very sharp and I love it!

Originally Posted by Grandma sews (Post 5021330)
My sister-in-law introduced me to a new seam ripper. You can get them at the Dollar Tree - they are eyebrow razors - two to a package!!! Never heard of using these before, but I watched her rip a seam and it works great!!!! Has this been posted before - or is this her original great idea?

Havplenty 03-01-2012 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Freddie (Post 5022770)
I don't know if anyone has posted this here before, but in our quiltgroup we have been using these eyebrow razors for quite a while. I still have one regular seamripper, which is very sharp and I love it!

yes the idea of eyebrow razors has been posted before. i bet this method cuts fabrics also espceially in my hands.:D

#1piecemaker 03-01-2012 03:56 PM

I haven't seen one yet. But, I bet it is great. I like a lot of light when I'm working on something. Thanks for telling about it.

Scakes 03-01-2012 07:51 PM

I've seen them but haven't bought one - yet.. Waiting to see what everyone is saying I guess.

nstitches4u 03-01-2012 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy (Post 5016323)
I bought one at a lqs last summer, and don't like/use it. Mine is not the one pictured. It has no name on it, so I don't know the brand, but what I don't like is the seam ripper. The "finger" at the end which slides under the stitch is too big for the stitches I make. So I always go back to my fav seam ripper, which is the red Fons and Porter. I do like the light, though. I also don't like that the working metal end of the seam ripper is imbedded in a clear plastic cap which fits over the lighted end of the penlight like a cap on an ink pen. I also don't like that the metal working part is made to be able to rock a bit back and forth. I want one that is fixed, not rocking. For me it was a wasted $10 and a huge disappointment. Just mho.

I also have one like this and I don't use it. I like my Fons and Porter ripper best. I have tried several rippers but I always come back to the F and P.

purplemem 03-01-2012 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by M.I.Late (Post 5017674)
I have the mighty bright. I love it. The magnifier and the light sure do come in handy.

I just bought the Mighty Bright with the lite and the magnifying glass. I really love it. I'm buying one for my Mom, too. It was $10 at my LQS. Definitely worth the price as I can now see those tiny stitches, you know, the ones that run together when the fabric gets really thick. Or dark stitches on black.

PghPat 03-02-2012 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Grandma sews (Post 5021330)
My sister-in-law introduced me to a new seam ripper. You can get them at the Dollar Tree - they are eyebrow razors - two to a package!!! Never heard of using these before, but I watched her rip a seam and it works great!!!! Has this been posted before - or is this her original great idea?

The best seam ripper ever....I'll never be without one after I learned about them on this board. And to think you get TWO in a package for one dollar at the Dollar Tree. I use a regular ripper to open the seam and then this gadget just zips through the seam lickety split...and I have not damaged a fabric in the months I have been using it.

birdlady 03-02-2012 09:26 AM

Just found it on line at stuff4sewing.com for $4.73. Looks like one of my lighted crochet hooks.

kaylfordsollimo 03-02-2012 06:07 PM

I've spread this one throughout our guild about a year or so ago. Works like a charm. I bought them at Target - came 3 in a package. Never knew such tools existed for the intended purpose. Just goes to show you how great some people's imagination for repurposing can be.

JUNEC 03-02-2012 06:18 PM

What an interesting looking seam ripper - I have to use a generic Ott light when I sew - helps me to see better & although I love my gingher seam ripper - might look for it the next time I go to Joann's