Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   the next time I want to do a quilt using denim... slap me (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/next-time-i-want-do-quilt-using-denim-slap-me-t160438.html)

Stitchit123 10-15-2011 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by barri1
I can relate to being out of mind making denim quilts... I just finished two.. Wonky is the word tp describe them.. Not again!!!!
Barri

denim has a mind of its own,its easier to let it have its way.. Barri tell me your furbaby isn't using a cigerette holder like some hunky Frenchmen

:-)

weezie 10-15-2011 05:38 AM

I cut 8-1/2" squares this past winter out of an old jeans stash and, alternating squares with a colorful brushed denim-like fabric that I'd had for years, I had exactly enough of both types of fabric to make a lap-sized rag quilt for DH. At the time, he was having and then recovering from open heart surgery & subsequent complications. It's absolutely amazing to me that I had exactly enough of both denim (in a variety of weights & shades of blue) and the colorful mystery fabric to make the quilt; if I had needed even one more square of either fabric, I would have been in trouble. We are a family of 5 and there is denim in that quilt from jeans worn by each of us over the last 30 years. For a variety of reasons, I'm pleased with the quilt, but have no desire to ever sew any more denim.

lenette 10-15-2011 05:43 AM

Sept97, Your denim quilt is WOW!

pasovasz 10-15-2011 05:44 AM

I have made over 100 Denim QUilts for Operation Quiet Comfort for our Wounded Warriors. The right needle, tension and some patience and it works out fine.

Use fleece for the backing- warm without much weight.

Anyone have 100% COTTON BLUE JEANS they don't want? Contact me. I'll take them.

Susan
NJ

collady 10-15-2011 05:45 AM

I have a rag quilt cut from denim and flannel in a box in my sewing room. I should say blocks for a rag quilt. I can't seem to get the urge to put it together. It is just too heavy to be comfortable moving through the machine. I guess my DGS will be a senior in high school before he gets it!

Deddier 10-15-2011 05:45 AM

Denim is so hard, I did a rag rug in denim and it worked, but very, very heavy. I would not use denim in a quilt again. Mine was a long lap quilt.

Lucy90 10-15-2011 06:21 AM

I want to make a denim quilt and have sewed with denim for other things and don't find it that difficult.

amandasgramma 10-15-2011 06:25 AM

I hear you and I agree with you!

bettysew 10-15-2011 06:52 AM

I made a king size denim and bandana fabric quilt for my son. Had to do it in halves and quilt it one half at the time because of the weight and then put the two halves together. It was exactly what he wanted but never again.
The weight was what bothered me the most. I didn't think putting it together was any different than a regular quilt, but I did use 1/2 inch seams and press open because the denim ravels so badly.

M.I.Late 10-15-2011 07:00 AM

Anyone working with denim to make quilts - I would love to have the pockets. Just the pockets if anyone has some laying around. Will trade for Pay-Pal cash, Fabric or Easy Core Storage Boards.