Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   night and day (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/night-day-t91546.html)

steelecg 01-19-2011 04:59 AM

With supplies that probably adds up to more = I would try the book first - I have seen patterns at the LQS that are for classes and thought they wouldn't be too hard. If it is really a new technique or complicated pattern, I would take a class. Good luck

pieces 01-19-2011 05:02 AM

Reread your book, E.B. patterns are through and you shouldn't
have any problem with the pattern.
Use the $65 to buy your fabric for the quilt.

Up4BigChal 01-19-2011 05:33 AM

One thing to remember about Eleanor Burns, she was a kindergarden teacher, and it shows in her instructions So I would not take a class, as stated in this post, go to her website and watch videos. As you work through the pattern it will all become clear. My 4th quilt is an Eleanor Burns "Tennessee Waltz" my Avatar. But her tools and tips are impecable.

HoneysMom 01-19-2011 06:33 AM

I would definitely NOT take the class. I just made Eleanor Burns Night and Day and it was alot of fun and easy. Just read through the directions a couple of times, take notes, high light and enjoy. I made it with my daughters college school colors Gold and Black and it turned out really neat. I can't wait to finish it and post photos. Have fun making it and I can't wait to see your's.

MaggieLou 01-19-2011 07:56 AM

$65 for a class sounds a little expensive to me. Is it just a one day class or once a week for several weeks? I think I would go the the website and check out her videos first. I wouldn't pay that much for a class unless it ran several weeks.

stoppain 01-19-2011 07:59 AM

Hi to all, I'm working on this pattern right now.
I love classes ,but $65 is a bit for some, but for 6hr, is not bad.
I used a practice fabric and I goof,because I did not read the book that well I have it now and it is very pleasing to the eye

Sophie2 01-19-2011 08:38 AM

I would suggest, as others have, to make a practice piece. If you have trouble with it, you may be able to go to your LQS and get some tips on doing it without taking the class. Most LQS that I go to are willing to help out with a block if you have a question or problem. Good luck. I have the book and fabric for the Day Night, but have not attempted it yet. I will use all the suggestions when I do start the quilt.

Janebird 01-19-2011 08:45 AM

This may sound crazy, but we all understand things by reading in different ways. I found that for me, the best thing to do is to read out loud while I walk around a room. I may look like a nut, but instructions really sink in. Trial and error will get you your best method!

sweetsie 01-19-2011 09:26 AM

I saw a quilt made from this pattern in lavender and white
it was beautiful, LA by a good friend of mine, it won a 1st prize
in the quilt show in Shawnee,OK. It was beautiful,and the
quilter said it was easy, don't know if she took a class or not,
I really doubt it. But it was beautiful. And it wasn't over quilted.

grammy nancy 01-19-2011 12:40 PM

I bought the pattern and template, even though I thought the pattern was to hard for me well I completed the quilt in a couple days pieced quilted and binding done !!! turned out wonderful, everyone of my family members begged me for the quilt!!