Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   No More Bounce Spray Starch - What is like it? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/no-more-bounce-spray-starch-what-like-t246180.html)

themary 05-03-2014 06:55 AM

I use Mary Ellen Best Press for all needs of starch. It does not leave any buildup.

hunters grammy 05-03-2014 09:14 AM

Spray Starch

Originally Posted by meanmom (Post 6701684)
I have tried all of the starches listed. My favorite is still Mary Ellens Best Press. It is worth the price. I buy a gallon when it is half price at JoAnns or Hancocks.

I have tried several spray starches. I also went back to Mary Ellens Best Press... and I like the scent of it.

cathyvv 05-03-2014 09:18 AM

I doubt that the scent was the reason it was pulled. If that were true, about 75% of personal products and laundry products would be pulled from the market. I wish it would happen, because scents trigger my sinus problems.

zkosh 05-03-2014 02:00 PM

Me, too.

Originally Posted by quiltmom04 (Post 6701985)
Me, too. I also get a gallon with the coupon. It gets stiff enough for me and smell wonderful. And not flakes or residue ever!

Me, too. I love Mary Ellen's. I have never had flakes or stickiness.

PKGranny 05-03-2014 03:45 PM

I love Magic Sizing - get it at our Walmart for about a buck a can & never get any flaking.

0tis 05-03-2014 04:00 PM

I have one bottle of the bounce spray - but the smell really bothered me - I would get headaches from it however, I can use Mary Ellen's and it doesn't bother me at all - I also like the Magic Sizing spray.

oldtisme 05-03-2014 04:28 PM

I too use the liquid Sta-Flo & always check near the washroom at Estate Sales for bottles of it too, I'm usually lucky & find some for about .25

maviskw 05-03-2014 08:26 PM

I have had a small amount of stay-flo mix go bad. I hadn't used it in more than a month, and it was stored in my laundry room on the shelf. There was a little mold inside the bottle. I dumped it, cleaned the bottle, and made more. It's really cheap to make, so if I lose a little, I'm still saving $piles$ over buying other bottles of spray starch. Probably would be a good idea to store it in the refrigerator.
I also found that if I haven't shaken the bottle in a while, it is more likely to flake, and the reason for that is that the starch and water have separated a little. I've learned to pick up the bottle and shake a little as I get the bottle situated in my hand. If it hasn't been used for a day or two, I shake a little more at first. And the flakes don't hurt anyone anyhow. Ignore them and they will go away.

Pete 05-04-2014 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 6701353)
I also have a supply of Bounce spray and found I like the new Flatter spray better. I love the name too.

Never heard of Flatter -- who makes it?

Dodie 05-04-2014 04:33 AM

I would like to know about flatter too but I do like Magic Sizing