Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Not to beat an old horse---but, (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/not-beat-old-horse-but-t72699.html)

Quilter7x 10-28-2010 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by merrylouw
I quickly run the raw edges thru my serger. Works like a charm, no ravels at all. Then into the washer they go, with a color catcher.

I serge the FQ's together into one log row, then put them in the wash with a Color Catcher. Works great!

jdavis 10-28-2010 06:27 AM

I wash FQs in mesh lingerie-laundering bags; and I just don't buy jelly rolls or charm packs!

chamby 10-28-2010 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by quiltin amma
I usually sew the ends of yardage cuts of fabric together before washing to keep from having too many ravels, but what do you do with fat 1/4's and those jelly rolls?

I place these in a mess bag before washing. I also wash on the gentle cycle to cut down on the ravels.

nab 10-28-2010 07:07 AM

I don't pre-wash.

brwnntwn 10-28-2010 08:13 AM

i am shocked at how many people do not wash before they sew - don't you have problems with shrinkage and distortion? Think of the time I sould save if I could just jump right in ... but I think I am to retentive to do that.

grandmaquilts 10-28-2010 11:38 AM

I just purchased some beautiful blue batik. I asked at the lqs if I needed to prewash and was told no. I had been told to test the fabric by using a wet paper towel or white cloth and rub on fabric. If no color comes off it is ok. I did this with the blue fabric and some color came off so I decided to put it in the sink with some warm water. The color just ran out of it. It is still beautiful but not nearly the same shade as when I bot it. I can still use it but not for the quilt I bot it for. Thank goodness it was only going to be the binding. I then washed it in the machine with Retayne and it seems to be ok now.

gramquilter2 10-28-2010 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by bj
I've heard if you snip the corners off of a fat quarter it won't ravel, but I've not tried it.

I have heard this too, has anyone tried it?

gramquilter2 10-28-2010 11:48 AM

Every quilt store I have shopped in has told me that you do not need to prewash fabrics that you buy at a Quilt Shop.

quiltluvr 10-28-2010 11:50 AM

I've heard that too, but I haven't tried it. I was using a pinking blade but it sometimes works. Seems last batch I did before washing tangled bad. That part is just annoying.

quiltin amma 10-28-2010 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by grandmaquilts
I just purchased some beautiful blue batik. I asked at the lqs if I needed to prewash and was told no. I had been told to test the fabric by using a wet paper towel or white cloth and rub on fabric. If no color comes off it is ok. I did this with the blue fabric and some color came off so I decided to put it in the sink with some warm water. The color just ran out of it. It is still beautiful but not nearly the same shade as when I bot it. I can still use it but not for the quilt I bot it for. Thank goodness it was only going to be the binding. I then washed it in the machine with Retayne and it seems to be ok now.

Thank heavens you checked it--there was a lady on here that was having an awful time with a backing that ran after she had spent countless hours hand quilting it--that's when I decided that I'd better spend the time pre-washing