Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   NOT FOR COMMERCIAL USE printed on selvage of fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/not-commercial-use-printed-selvage-fabric-t169149.html)

luvTooQuilt 11-20-2011 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts (Post 4702249)
............BUT other than that if it has that warning on the edge I by pass it. If we don't buy it in the first place they don't get any money and may re-think their greediness and give us little guys a break :). This is just my opinion and I say it only about myself.....

I second it !!!

Sunnie 11-20-2011 11:56 AM

If we don't buy it in the first place they don't get any money and may re-think their greediness and give us little guys a break :)......

I totally agree with not buying...i.e. boycott.

The fabric I have is not a "team" or "business" type, just a lovely printed pattern.

Sadiemae 11-20-2011 12:02 PM

I still wonder what would happen if one of these companies decided to sue someone who sold items at a yard sale or auction. Seems just kind of ridiculous to me!!!!

JanieW 11-20-2011 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 4702177)
I think you will find that phrase on licensed fabrics (cartoons, sports teams, colleges, etc), not fabrics by 'regular' designers. Licensed things have different laws that apply to them (no matter what Tabberone claims). It is not the designers that sue, it is the corporations who hold the license.

I have a blue print fabric that is not cartoon/sports/colleges, just an ordinary fabric. On the selvage it says " Giordano Studios LLC. These designs are intended for home craft use only. Any commercial use is prohibited by Giordano Studios and is protected under United States copyright law"

Another print I have says "Quilting Treasures A licence is required for any use beyond any individual consumption"

I am not going to comment on anything other than these fabrics are not special in any way regarding licensed images .

Camping Angel 11-20-2011 12:18 PM

IMHO commercial does not mean buying a few yards of fabric, making a few quilts and selling them. Commercial items would be made in bulk and sold in large numbers. But I think I would be a little careful with licensed characters, ect.

quiltinghere 11-20-2011 12:31 PM

Well are 'they' going to sue Goodwill? Just this week I ran across several yards of a princess fabric that had that statement on the selvage. I couldn't decide whether it was 100% cotton or where I'd use it so I passed it up.

I agree...if it bothers us, we shouldn't buy it in the first place...then it won't end up in a resale shop down the road.

ka9sdn 11-20-2011 12:33 PM

It is such a shame the big guys have to stop small individuals from having fun making a project and maybe, maybe, being able to make a couple of bucks. Noone is goung to get rich making these items and may just help those big guys get talked about more.

sew cornie 11-20-2011 12:33 PM

"Individual consumption" makes it sound like you'll be eating it for supper. Haven't tasted any of my fabrics lately . . . .

lfw045 11-20-2011 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Sunnie (Post 4702232)
I am currently working with a fabric that has "License is required for any use beyond individual consumption". It is a Warren Kimble for Quilting Treasures fabric. I'm now hesitant to sell these items at a craft show.
If I see this kind of disclaimer on fabrics again I will definitely boycott them.

I totally agree!

valsma 11-20-2011 01:03 PM

If we don't buy it in the first place they don't get any money and may re-think their greediness and give us little guys a break :). This is just my opinion and I say it only about myself.....

I agree. If we don't buy the licensed fabrics that will cut into their profits. However my thinking is if you are going to boycott thier fabrics you need to let them know why you will no longer buy their fabrics and you also need to try to make it a national boycott involving more than a few people. Otherwise it is a futile effort because there will always be someone who will buy it.
I just think it is corporate greed and they have the high priced attorney's to back it up. I get protecting ones copy right, but once I buy that fabric and pay the price whice includes the copy right fees , which im sure are rolled into the cost, I should be able to sell any item I make out of it. If I was actually copying their logo's or items then they would be entitled to sue me. I also know that is what it would be like in the perfect world.