Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Opinion on Binding Color Please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/opinion-binding-color-please-t191629.html)

barny 06-13-2012 08:42 AM

I was always told when painting, if you don't have an awful lot in the painting, crank up the mat and border. If you want attention to the painted part, go easy on the mat and border. I kind of go by that when sewing. But, quilting is different, I think. Either would probably work. I don't know much about all the quilting, or anything else I guess.LOL I just like to talk on this board.ha.

cmw0829 06-13-2012 08:44 AM

Thank you all for your thoughtful comments. You've given me a lot of ideas to consider. This is only my second finished quilt (lots of tops!) and it's for a very special young woman so I want it to be just right.

But as usual, there are no rules. :)

Thanks very much,
Cathy

pamesue 06-13-2012 09:07 AM

whichever color I am sure it will be loved by that special lady...and please post a picture so that we can see it.

annthreecats 06-13-2012 09:59 AM

I like the idea of the dusty rose pink print for the binding. All the colors in your quilt sound wonderful you did a really good job of describing everything.

cmw0829 06-13-2012 02:08 PM

Thanks everybody. After looking at the quilt and considering all you have said - purple it will be. Because there is so much contrast in color, the pink against the light green looks washed out. The purple makes the border pop (IMHO).

While I ended up where I started, it is always invaluable to hear what others think - nuggets of wisdom to put in my brain stash.

Pictures to follow when finished.

Thanks,
Cathy

mucky 06-13-2012 03:30 PM

I think if you have a color in your quilt you want to pop then use that color otherwise I prefer matching the last border.

burchquilts 06-13-2012 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie (Post 5285603)
I usually prefer the binding ot match the outer border, as much as you can.

I like the opposite. I like my binding to stand out on its own. I agree with the sashing color. Or go completely wild & do a multi-color binding. I can't wait to see your quilt! Now... get back to work... LOL!!!

Patquiltz 06-13-2012 10:14 PM

I must be the odd man out here. I would make more than one borders, ie: purple, then pink and one more purple followed by a purple binding. Just MHO.

MaryLane 06-14-2012 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by burchquilts (Post 5287735)
I like the opposite. I like my binding to stand out on its own. I agree with the sashing color. Or go completely wild & do a multi-color binding. I can't wait to see your quilt! Now... get back to work... LOL!!!

Me, too! I consider the binding my final border and I want it to tie the quilt together and not just blend in.

nabobw 06-14-2012 04:58 AM

I agree as I want the eye to look at the quilt not the border

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie (Post 5285603)
I usually prefer the binding ot match the outer border, as much as you can.