Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Orphan Blocks...Suggestions Please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/orphan-blocks-suggestions-please-t185257.html)

Lori S 04-07-2012 05:47 PM

If all else fails post them as a donation on this board. I am sure there are plenty of charity quilters that can make good use of them

azwendyg 04-07-2012 06:08 PM

Becca, Your great aunts blocks look wonderful! It's so nice that you have them out and displayed to enjoy them.

teacherbailey 04-08-2012 03:20 AM

One of the best ways to use them that I've ever seen was to buy those reusable tote bags in the "right" colors and then applique an orphan block---or four or six or whatever---over the printing on the bag. Makes a cute tote bag for the cost of the inexpensive bag----and great gifts too! :)

117becca 04-08-2012 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by azwendyg (Post 5124664)
Becca, Your great aunts blocks look wonderful! It's so nice that you have them out and displayed to enjoy them.

Thanks azwendyg.....They even wash up well!! LOL!!! I threw them in the washer and washed them normally when I painted the room last fall. I still have more pieces, I just haven't decided exactly how to use them yet.

Dodie 04-08-2012 04:49 AM

Sharyn Craig also has another great book on making all orphan blocks the same size for a smpler quilt also great for
a block exchange when all blocks are not the same size it is called Twist and Turn a great method

jitkaau 04-08-2012 05:03 AM

I would just start putting them together as a type of sampler quilt whilst tieing them all together with a blending fabric to frame the smaller ones so that they reach the same size.

Kath12 04-08-2012 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by azwendyg (Post 5121903)
Very interesting! It looks like any 4 x 4 block would work. Most of mine are bigger, but I could cut some down to this size to use.

You don't have to cut down your block. Just make a bigger chicken. I have several of these chickens around the house ranginging from very small to a larger doorstop size. The size all depends on what size block you use.
I use orphan blocks on my quilt backings. Saves on material and makes the back of the quilt pretty too

Kath12 04-08-2012 05:45 AM

I have also framed orphan blocks. They are great to use as a gift

mhollifiel 04-08-2012 06:23 AM

I have put orphans into my backs as well. But since, I mostly piece tops for Project Linus, I save up all the "extras" of any blocks even the smaller units until I get a pile. I will join "like" extras into strips before I add them to the pile. Black cotton (I like Kona best) is my best friend when I get to work on this pile. I assemble them into strips for either vertical or horizontal placement. I use black strips for the stripping between blocks or strips of blocks. Somehow this works and really turns into some of my most interesting and colorful quilts. Kids love their "covers" and they are the exact opposite of quilt police types. They know someone cares and that's all that matters to them.

jaciqltznok 04-08-2012 06:29 AM

go to our links/resources area and check out all of the links that have been posted there over the years....orphan blocks make great gift items!