Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Paper Piecing is Exausting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/paper-piecing-exausting-t102979.html)

catlover 02-26-2011 03:44 PM

With all your wonderful talent, Polly, I'm sure you'll find a system that works for you. It is a messy technique for sure. I keep a wastebasket handy.

So what are you working on now?

Cynthia

annpryor 02-26-2011 03:46 PM

I take pattern ease and put it through my printer to get the designs and then go to sewing and I don't rip the pattern ease off when I am done it just stays. It is something I learned from the Dear Jane Quilt.

QuiltQtrs 02-26-2011 03:54 PM

Have tried one wallhanging size project, and a few simple blocks ... but just
can't get the hang of doing everything upside down/backwards. However,
the prefectionist in me admires other quilter's work.

pollyjvan9 02-26-2011 04:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
These are the 1st seven blocks in the Jinny's Garden pp quilt. Have some mistakes but I can live with all so far except for the flat tops on the crocus. I am going to correct it at some point. If you haven't see this quilt it has 4 blocks in the middle that have yellow and golds, the rest of the blocks I am using reds. Jinny used purples in her quilt. Will keep you posted as I go along.

Jinny's garden 1st 7 blocks
[ATTACH=CONFIG]130415[/ATTACH]

CLMQuilter 02-26-2011 05:14 PM

I love PP and have been doing it for years. Years ago I made a full size Quilt all Paper pieced including the boarders. Use a smaller stitch when PP trears out a little easyer and some people spray the paper with water to get the paper off

Earleen 02-26-2011 05:48 PM

You are not the only one I just do not like pp. I think I have a mental block for it.

Originally Posted by almostfree
I just don't get it! I have watched and looked at so many tutorials for this, but it doesn't make any sense to me! Am I the only one?

TXyankee 02-26-2011 06:32 PM

I've been working on a pp mini. I had explanations and demos from the experienced ladies at my bee group. I still get confused but I'm ripping out less as I get better. How do I handle the bulk in the junctions? My sewing machine gets stuck when I try to sew over the seams.

Sandra in Minnesota 02-26-2011 06:46 PM

Relax and let the mess pile up. All you have to do is vacuum yourself off when you're done! lol

liminanc 02-26-2011 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by almostfree
I just don't get it! I have watched and looked at so many tutorials for this, but it doesn't make any sense to me! Am I the only one?

I don't get it either. It looks like way too much effort for me. I guess my points are good enough for me just using templates.

Pat G 02-26-2011 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Pollyv9
I started the Jinny's Garden paper pieced quilt pattern yesterday and just finished the 6th block. (It is 1:00 pm) I am exausted and I have the worst mess you have ever seen. Paper, Paper and scraps, scraps everywhere. Is there a neat way to do this?

Normally I try to keep my sewing space tidy but when I'm really into a PP proj. I just love the scattered mess. All of those little, colorful pcs. can usually be used somewhere. If they're too sm. for anywhere, they go into the wastebasket. Removing all that paper is a project all of its own. Don't worry about the mess. Just clean it up occas. if it really bothers you. You will be so happy with your finished project.