Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pep-Talk, please ... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pep-talk-please-t149934.html)

ging10ging 09-03-2011 04:44 PM

We're are own worst critics and depending on what you want it for most people unless they quilt probably won't notice. I hate it when I make a mistake because I have to take it all apart because I know it's there. Good Luck deciding. Sue

momto5 09-03-2011 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by cmagee84
Practice makes progress!!!

We all have to start somewhere. It sounds like you may be too critical of your own work. Most of us are!

The best judge is using the "3 foot rule". Stand back 3 ft and if it looks good, it IS good! There is also the rule about a man on a galloping horseback, if he can't see the mistake, it is not there! :)

Seriously, be proud of what you have accomplished! Know that each piece will show some progress and move on. Be happy you have completed your project!!!

Post a pic so we can tell you what a good job you did!!

What she said...!!

M.I.Late 09-03-2011 05:48 PM

All I can add is that if you hate it, rip it out (by the way ripping out SITD is no easy task - remember you buried the thread.) Otherwise learn to love the "learning quilts" very, very soon you'll go back and say, I remember when I was not as good as I am now. I'm glad I'm still progressing...
Hugs,
Gayle

madamekelly 09-03-2011 06:21 PM

I just forced myself to finish and bind my first attempt at machine quilting. I love the project, but the quilting is terrible. I too tried SID and if you stay back, it looks OK, but don't get too close. I have done echo quilting a few times since then, and find it much easier, as long as I use my walking foot. We all learn from each project, so welcome to the learning curve. :-D

ghk1936 09-03-2011 07:14 PM

I use a walking foot on my machine and it makes a tremendous difference in your stitch in the ditch. Could not keep from making tucks in the backing without it.

kiffie2413 09-03-2011 07:23 PM

I actually seem to find quilting like 1/8" away from the ditch to work better for me. 1/4" seems too far away, and as some of the others have said, staying right with sid is sometimes pretty tough...so, after experimenting, 1/8" away seems to look pretty good...my quilty sisters from my local group think so, too...

jpthequilter 09-03-2011 08:19 PM

You might try temporarily leaving all the old stitches in, and re sewing "the ditches" that displease you. and after you have done that, very carefully remove the old wonky stitches.
This holds everything in place, no chance of sliding, and is really faster.
JPthequilter

emlee51 09-04-2011 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by cmagee84
Practice makes progress!!!

We all have to start somewhere. It sounds like you may be too critical of your own work. Most of us are!

The best judge is using the "3 foot rule". Stand back 3 ft and if it looks good, it IS good! There is also the rule about a man on a galloping horseback, if he can't see the mistake, it is not there! :)

Seriously, be proud of what you have accomplished! Know that each piece will show some progress and move on. Be happy you have completed your project!!!

Post a pic so we can tell you what a good job you did!!

Good Advise!!

Arleners 09-04-2011 07:23 PM

The three foot rule is so true. When you make a quilt you are practically sticking you nose on it looking for the flaws. Except for the Quilt Police, everyone else will be looking at the overall effect. They will ooh and ahh over the color, the design, even the quilting.
We are our own worst judges.

jad1044 09-05-2011 07:21 AM

Once it is washed, I'll bet you won't see the Craptacular sewing and you'll be able to enjoy the quilt - let it be - it can't be that bad... even if you got out of the ditch occasionally.... good luck!