Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   The "Perfect" Jelly Roll (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/perfect-jelly-roll-t192100.html)

Chester the bunny 06-18-2012 11:50 AM

Anywhere from 40 to 400 cream/beige/vanilla pudding/soft butter/rice krispy squares/ kind of colors.
Because you never have enough of those.

Carole

Lori S 06-18-2012 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics (Post 5298401)
Well... what about the concept of "junior jelly rolls" with 20 strips, all different? Then if you needed 40, you could order two, and if you needed more, you could order 3 or 4. You could control whether you got duplicates or not, by ordering two of the same, or two different, "junior"s.

What do you think?

I like that concept , aren't some manufactures doing this? I thought I saw some smaller jelly rolls.
It would be nice if at least a few of the fabrics in the roll had a easy way to order yardage to go with the jelly roll. I am typically looking for yardage to go with in either the lightest or darkest color in the jelly roll. This is a particular issue with batiks. ...or at least list on the package what the manufactures numbers are so if I really want yardage of one I can have some starting point for the search.

Favorite Fabrics 06-18-2012 12:30 PM

Moda is doing a junior jelly roll of their "Simply Color" group - it's all the ombres, and it is 21 strips, 3 each of the seven ombres in the line.

Not exactly what's being suggested here, which is each strip should be unique.

I don't know if any other manufacturers are doing smaller JRs...

Favorite Fabrics 06-18-2012 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Chester the bunny (Post 5298641)
Anywhere from 40 to 400 cream/beige/vanilla pudding/soft butter/rice krispy squares/ kind of colors.
Because you never have enough of those.

Carole

400 is a lot, Carole, did you stop to have lunch yet today?

Maybe you're hungry... :-)

Liz92B 06-18-2012 12:31 PM

my 'perfect' jelly roll would have straight-cut edges (not pinked), and actually measure 2½" ... all 20 strips different (there are usually not even 20 fabrics in a 'collection;).

auntpiggylpn 06-18-2012 01:31 PM

I would like 40 strips, perfectly cut to 2 1/2" and I would LOVE for them to be a white on white fabric, all 40 strips the same print! I use a lot of WOW and I feel lazy sometimes!

fairydawn 06-18-2012 03:10 PM

Jr. Jelly rolls sounds like a good idea. Some fabric lines do not have 40 different prints/colors in them. My personal favorites would be floral pastels like Princess Rose or the Anew line by Lecien among others.

Wanabee Quiltin 06-18-2012 03:44 PM

A perfect jelly roll would be 40 strips with no doubles. All the fabrics would be bright cheerful 30's prints. And the fabric would feel wonderful. I do have a jelly roll with 30's prints, but she snuck some doubles in there and they are totally ugly !! I felt really cheated when I got home and opened them to check them out. Sure cost me a pretty penny for those ugly Men's underwear type fabrics (my Mother made me iron my stepfather's boxers in the 1960's).

nannyrick 06-18-2012 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics (Post 5298401)
Well... what about the concept of "junior jelly rolls" with 20 strips, all different? Then if you needed 40, you could order two, and if you needed more, you could order 3 or 4. You could control whether you got duplicates or not, by ordering two of the same, or two different, "junior"s.

What do you think?

I like the idea of Juniors!!!

katier825 06-18-2012 04:13 PM

I like the idea of 40 different fabrics. I am usually drawn to batiks, but I would love to see 40 different bright florals that all look great together, for a beautiful scrappy log cabin quilt!