Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Peter Walsh fabric stash organization tips (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/peter-walsh-fabric-stash-organization-tips-t96808.html)

LucyInTheSky 02-04-2011 06:49 PM

"10. You can buy new fabric! From now on you have to be good and commit to using or purging the same amount of new fabric that you bring in. Keep a running tally on a whiteboard or in a notebook if it helps."

That seems counterproductive/intuitive...

I like the idea of getting rid of stuff I'm never going to use. I put a bag together of little giveaway projects that I know I won't ever make. And those are moving on. But the general big pieces, I'd hate to give them up....

momto4 02-04-2011 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by amma
Not in a million years... Nope!! :D:D:D

I right there with ya amma :P

littlehud 02-04-2011 06:54 PM

I couldn't do it. I will retire someday and have plans for all of it.

Sadiemae 02-04-2011 07:04 PM

He has some good ideas. I was glad when I watched one of his shows that he is not as mean as the woman on Clean Sweep. I refuse to watch her!!! He really tries to make people search their feelings and the reasons why their houses are cluttered. I am decluttering my house, which will probably take me until Summer, but that's okay. I am getting rid of a lot, but not 85%. I am not getting rid of any fabric because realistically I cannot buy new fabric. I don't have very much cotton, but I found a bunch of fleece. I think I will do a simple meandering sttich on a few that are not girlie, and make make fleece blankies for disabled Veterans. The one about solids is easy, I don't really have any. lol

ctack2 02-04-2011 07:13 PM

I didn't read the article, and won't. lol.
I'm just now starting out and trying to build a stash - I sure don't want to get rid of anything!
(If anyone reads it and starts clearing out their stuff, PM m and I'll send you my address. Hehehehe)

Carol B

shawnemily 02-04-2011 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by littlehud
I couldn't do it. I will retire someday and have plans for all of it.

DITTO!!!!!!!!

isnthatodd 02-04-2011 07:53 PM

How can I let go of my imagination, inspiration, dream designs, etc?

Sadiemae 02-04-2011 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by isnthatodd
How can I let go of my imagination, inspiration, dream designs, etc?

I think when it totally takes over, and you simply don't have eough room to live happily. That is why I am getting rid of the nonquilting stuff. I admit I did find a couple pieces of fabric that I think I was sleepshopping when I bought them. They have to go----yuck!!!

lclang 02-04-2011 08:26 PM

Only one day to do this??? HA It would take me a month and I would probaby put all the purged stuff back before I finished. My system is three two door tall cupboards, 2 steel shelf units, and piles everywhere that there isn't room for on the shelf where they belonh. I sort by color, sorta...Always have three of four more projects stacked up on my tables waiting to begin.

pittsburgpam 02-04-2011 08:50 PM

I went through some of my stash and I boxed up some odds and ends that I didn't like and a lot of scraps from other quilts. I just stashed the box and maybe someday I will go through it again and see it with new eyes.

The clutter in my sewing room gets to me sometimes ;)