Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Peter Walsh fabric stash organization tips (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/peter-walsh-fabric-stash-organization-tips-t96808.html)

sewbizgirl 02-05-2011 08:37 AM

I never realized "hoarding" was such a big problem until all these shows came on about it. You do sometimes see people driving around in vehicles that are practically piled to the ceiling with papers and junk, so if they junk up their cars like that, imagine their homes... I knew a nice lady whose car was so packed with stuff there was only room for her to get in behind the wheel to drive. No room for a passenger or to be able to see out the rear view mirror! I would feel smothered...

I do have a stash of fabric and a stash of yarns (for my knitting habit!) and think that's okay, as long as it doesn't get out of control. I sell off the unwanteds every once in a while.

kwilter 02-05-2011 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by amma
Not in a million years... Nope!! :D:D:D

I agree! Methinks this guy has NO understanding of quilters' love of fabric....Sure, there are some folks who may have a "problem" but, hey, live and let live. His ideas make me nervous, anyway.

granma1 02-05-2011 09:31 AM

Oh Brother!!! Nobody not even my DH? had better try to destash me. They will have to pry the fabric from my cold dead hands. I have told them that I will haunt them forever. Fabric is not junk or trash. My DH collects all kinds of things , some of which are dirty and greasy. All of my fabric is clean , maybe not as tidy as I would like it but as Miss Scarlet said " Tomorrow is another day"

Scakes 02-05-2011 11:39 AM

I know I need to declutter my stash but I don't want to get RID of it. :-)

Marilynsue 02-05-2011 12:30 PM

Bah-Humbug!!

clair 02-05-2011 12:35 PM

my idea is that peter w. needs to get his nose out of other peoples business and into a real job. The very idea that (he) know best for someone galls me. Happy with my stash and going to add more every time I get a chance. Walsh is not ever going to be invited to my house, even if he doen't want to organize it. I hate know-it -alls.

qnana 02-05-2011 12:44 PM

I didn't watch this show; watched a couple of "clean house" ones and they depressed me no end. Who wants a sterile home? Mine gets messy and my stuff creeps out of its bins when I am not looking sometimes, ( : but when I get an "aha" idea, I can almost always find enough pieces and parts to make something without going to town and shopping. Jumping right in is half the fun for me.

Rosyhf 02-05-2011 01:00 PM

Good grief!!!!!! hahahah..my normal fabrics are on three shelf units, that go all the way to the ceiling, almost and in a closet,all colorways together, weather they be solid (not much) or whatever. Then one large cabinet, floor to ceiling with shelves in the doll room and then one chest of drawers for the batiks and two drawers for doll fabrics. Little drawer bins, also in the closet with accessories etc.

I am as organized as one can get with the fabric. Then I have three large bins in the studio and those hold, my not so favorites. With these I will do experimental stuff and so on and that is not to say that they are not great when it all comes out in the wash. I love my quilts made with non favorites.

I have made three Christmas quilts already out of the Christmas stash that I want to get rid of....now I am willing to part with this lot but not just yet. I have to see who wants a quilt out of this lot first.

The the dogs needs new pillow covers and I could make pillow cases for the beds too. I really have to think about getting rid of fabric just because. Oh lets not forget my bin of scraps, which are really really my favorite as they make me create.

I have said before that I am not buying fabric and broke that rule twice...but one was a pirate kit and that is going to a little boy and the other a dino kit for another so I don't file these and they don't count right? I am not adding to my stash, it has to be free for me to find a spot for it.

lheizen 02-05-2011 04:20 PM

Are you kidding give it away and then some where down the road you a the perfect use for it been there did that not ever again lol

MistyMarie 02-05-2011 04:28 PM

I read the article and hrmphed! I love my fabric too much. Just the other day, I pulled out some fabric I thought I would never use and made two quilts with it as one of the main colors. It was PERFECT. I have regretted getting rid of certain pieces of fabric because I later need them for a project.

What got me the most was the idea of getting rid of solids... only to buy them later when you need them from a project. To me, that is being wasteful. I am not going to replace fabric I already owned, just so I can make some more space now. Thankfully, I have enough space for my stash, but even if I didn't, I'd give up something else before I would lose a chunk of my stash.