Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pics showing accuquilt "wastage" using rag die (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pics-showing-accuquilt-wastage-using-rag-die-t172519.html)

EmbQuilt 12-19-2011 09:41 AM

Turning the crank is hard if you have lots of layers. I only put two layers of flannel through but up to 6 of cotton. I make sure the handle part is off the table as I find it easier to do it that way.

Thanks for the tip about using vellum under the fabric.

My favorite dies (before I owned this one) are the two tumblers and the strip dies. Santa is getting me the hexagon one. I forgot to ask for more cutting mats.

I usually cut strips 1" wider than the die and run those through but with the rag I chose to do the squares

Shankquilt 12-19-2011 10:27 AM

I have an Accuquilt Studio and I love it. But I have a question for you. How do you keep the cut edges out of the way when sewing the strips together. It isn't a problem sandwiching the individual blocks but when the blocks are sewn into a row and you start sewing the rows together how do you keep the underneath fringes from being caught in the seam? Maybe I am doing something really wrong but I just can't get that part figured out. I have RA and I really do appreciate not having to cut all those small cuts to make it raggy!

tallchick 12-19-2011 10:30 AM

Thank you for posting this!! I just ordered the AccuQuilt go and a rag die and I was wondering what a cut would look like!!! I can't wait till next year so I can start quilting again and I can't wait to try my AccuQuilt as I have determined that I suck at cutting. Merry Christmas!!

sewmary 12-19-2011 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by skowron5 (Post 4794539)
You do have to turn the handle, but I have carpel tunnel and it is not too bad. The more you use it, it seems to work easier. I love mine.

Thanks - reluctantly I think I need this too (I like cutting my fabric). If you can do it with carpal tunnel I think I could too! (Sorry about your poor hands.)

mcdor 12-19-2011 03:17 PM

This machine is only hard to turn when you have to many layers of fabric.

Candace 12-19-2011 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Shankquilt (Post 4794654)
I have an Accuquilt Studio and I love it. But I have a question for you. How do you keep the cut edges out of the way when sewing the strips together. It isn't a problem sandwiching the individual blocks but when the blocks are sewn into a row and you start sewing the rows together how do you keep the underneath fringes from being caught in the seam? Maybe I am doing something really wrong but I just can't get that part figured out. I have RA and I really do appreciate not having to cut all those small cuts to make it raggy!

It just lies flat for me. I sew 1 inch seams and the fringe doesn't get caught...

EmbQuilt 12-19-2011 05:47 PM

A few fringes were caught - I first pinned when joining to separate the corners but then just used my fingers to separate them.

quiltymom 12-19-2011 05:51 PM

I have one and love it!!!! I don't have much waste at all I just watch how I put it on. If you have trouble turning your putting to many layers on and you can ruin your die trust me I know I did it!!!!

Prism99 12-19-2011 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by sewmary (Post 4794475)
Last week I had a bad RA flare in my left hand, which of course is my cutting/sewing hand. Over the weekend I looked at the Accquilt stuff. I have one question for you all: I think from looking at these machines you have to turn a crank to move the fabric through. Does it turn easily - thinking of hands that are arthritic.?

Mine was stiff at first, so I reduced the layers from 4 to 2. After using it for awhile, I now can usually cut 4 layers at a time with no problem. The rag die is harder to run through because there are so many more cutting edges on it. I think most people do just 1 layer of flannel at a time with that die.

sewbeadit 12-20-2011 12:10 AM

I bought my studio because I have really bad hands and back and using the rotary cutter for long periods would just kill me and then I wouldn't feel well enough to sew. With the studio the cutting is fast, doesn't hurt my hands and back and I feel good enough most days to be able to sew quite a while before I have to give up. I think it has given me much more time enjoying what I like to do, sewing, quilting and all of it:)