Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pics showing accuquilt "wastage" using rag die (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pics-showing-accuquilt-wastage-using-rag-die-t172519.html)

sewbeadit 12-20-2011 12:12 AM

If you were to turn your fabric just a little and line up the edges with the directions of the die it would be on the straight of grain better. I think I explained that, where the waste would be straight pieces instead of slanted.

starlite 12-20-2011 04:05 AM

It will turn not to hard if you don't use very many layers. I know this first hand!
Jan

Needle Up 12-20-2011 05:10 AM

Thank you so much for the tip on the paper. It is so hard to get the threads out of the die. I take my scraps and cut them into various die shapes so I have them ready for a project that calls for that paticular size. I use the 5" die and the 2 1/2 strips the most. Great use of scraps for scrappy quilts.

sandyl 12-20-2011 05:25 AM

Where is the best (cheapest) place to purchase these machines now?

jaciqltznok 12-20-2011 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 4794382)
I have the rag die and love it. I put piece of vellum or tissue paper on the die before the fabric. This keeps all the threads out of the die. When I hear someone complain about the fabric waste using a die cut machine I know they have never used one or seen one used correctly. I get more waste then you do though because I use layer cakes for all my rag cuts. I eliminate all fabric cutting when I can. I like sewing not cutting. Try the big 9 1/2" hex die. It's great. I cut the fabric shape in half for a different pattern. I use the 6 1/2" tumbler die a lot too. I also cut those down the middle and resew. Thanks for the pictures.

if I had layer cakes I would trim them down and then use the 1" strip in a strip quilt! why waste your money like that?

coldquilter 12-20-2011 06:38 AM

I have been thinking about the accuquilt for a couple of years but don't know anyone personally who has one and there is so much info on the web that I think I got more confused by researching. Just curious as to which model you have? All I need is even more info~ Thanks.

pjnesler 12-20-2011 08:13 AM

Very interesting - I don't have one of these machines, but the more I read, the better they sound!

IBQLTN 12-20-2011 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 4794382)
I have the rag die and love it. I put piece of vellum or tissue paper on the die before the fabric. This keeps all the threads out of the die. When I hear someone complain about the fabric waste using a die cut machine I know they have never used one or seen one used correctly. I get more waste then you do though because I use layer cakes for all my rag cuts. I eliminate all fabric cutting when I can. I like sewing not cutting. Try the big 9 1/2" hex die. It's great. I cut the fabric shape in half for a different pattern. I use the 6 1/2" tumbler die a lot too. I also cut those down the middle and resew. Thanks for the pictures.

Would love to see the 1/2 hex and 1/2 tumbler quilts ... do you have pictures?

quiltinglady-1 12-20-2011 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by sewmary (Post 4794475)
Last week I had a bad RA flare in my left hand, which of course is my cutting/sewing hand. Over the weekend I looked at the Accquilt stuff. I have one question for you all: I think from looking at these machines you have to turn a crank to move the fabric through. Does it turn easily - thinking of hands that are arthritic.?

Sewmary, I have used my friends Go Cutter and it is hard to turn. I have the larger on, Studio I think, and it isn't as bad if you don't put more than 6-8 layers on it at a time.

sguillot 12-20-2011 10:39 AM

rag quilt die

I have the die and can't wait to use it. I want to make a quilt out of jeans and flannel for my son and I thought that die would save lots of time. After reading this I can't wait to get started but will probably have to be after the holidays. Merry Christmas and a Safe and Happy New Year everyone.