Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Piecing batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/piecing-batting-t197002.html)

wolph33 08-08-2012 05:34 AM

I use them for table runners,place mats,purses,and mug rug.I will piece batting for a quilt when needed.

DogHouseMom 08-08-2012 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 5425933)
I overlap the straight edges slightly and cut a wavy line through both layers top to bottom. Then I butt the curves and hand stitch together. It makes the join impossible to detect once the quilt is made...no lumps, bumps, or dense spots.

Yup. That's exactly how I do it too.

Also ... I save all of my batting "scraps". Before I quilt anything I make at least one practice sandwich with the same batting, thread and fabric to test my quilting motif, thread combination, tension - everything.

pinkcastle 08-08-2012 06:05 AM

My Viking has a serpentine stitch that I like to use. I haven't tried it on anything large, but for small projects it does a wonderful job.

auntpiggylpn 08-08-2012 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by GemState (Post 5425861)
I use fusible interfacing which is very inexpensive. Cut it into strips........I usually use 2" or 2 1/2". Use a damp press cloth when you iron it on. Been doing this long before the strips came on the market.

This is exactly what I do! I have a bolt of this leftover from garment sewing. I just cut me a strip and iron it on. It is either a lightweight or a feather weight, I'm not sure. It is so incredibly cheap at Joanns, much cheaper than the batting tape. 1 yard of this is considerably cheaper than 1 roll of the batting tape and it does the same thing

Deborahlees 08-08-2012 07:17 AM

I sew together as much as I can, like you said this stuff is not inexpensive. I don't use the standard zig zag, but the one that is multiple little baby stitches, with this stitch mine just lay down a little flatter

Wunder-Mar 08-08-2012 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by GemState (Post 5425861)
I use fusible interfacing which is very inexpensive. Cut it into strips........I usually use 2" or 2 1/2". Use a damp press cloth when you iron it on. Been doing this long before the strips came on the market.

JoAnn's sells fusible TRICOT interfacing by the yard - it's whisper thin, undetectable and softsoftsoft - it's the same material used to make those expensive rolls of batting tape. Buy the yardage, cut it into 1-1/2" wide strips and fuse away. It's so much cheaper with very little work.

hopetoquilt 08-08-2012 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Wunder-Mar (Post 5426559)
JoAnn's sells fusible TRICOT interfacing by the yard - it's whisper thin, undetectable and softsoftsoft - it's the same material used to make those expensive rolls of batting tape. Buy the yardage, cut it into 1-1/2" wide strips and fuse away. It's so much cheaper with very little work.

Thanks for this tip. What a great idea.

barny 08-08-2012 03:17 PM

Ghostrider, that is the way they put wallpaper up, only they cut a straight line instead of curvy. Good goin'.

ckcowl 08-08-2012 03:18 PM

i've been piecing batting by butting the pieces & zigzagging them for years- have never had a problem with it & really can't see any reason to spend money of some special tape-that probably takes just as long as my zigzagging-

mucky 08-08-2012 04:56 PM

Feather stitch works well but I like using fuseable interfacing cut in strips.