Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pin Basted then......I cried (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pin-basted-then-i-cried-t113165.html)

bizzyquilter 04-04-2011 06:47 AM

I know how you feel. I did the same thing I just put a large lable to correct it. I was once told by a very smart quilter that every quilt has a story behind it.

Normacharlie 04-04-2011 06:59 AM

I always use safety pins so I don't stick myself! A lot of times the backs don't quite work, cut a little here, a little there, you'll be the only one who knows!

Baloonatic 04-04-2011 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Treasureit
Well almost cried...I left that nasty hunk of fabric all alone for the rest of this day! Not going near it again until I cool off.:oops: :oops:

I was just finishing my pin basting a queen size quilt and discovered the last corner was crooked and the backing doesn't cover it. Why didn't I notice it was too long somewhere else....grrrrrrr :thumbdown:

I am going to get that pin helper gadget before I continue. My finger is bloody from pinning. :cry:

All is not lost! I LOVE pieced backs! My most special quilts all have them :)

Treasureit 04-04-2011 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Normacharlie
I always use safety pins so I don't stick myself! A lot of times the backs don't quite work, cut a little here, a little there, you'll be the only one who knows!

I did use safety pins - closing them was the problem.

Subee 04-04-2011 07:07 AM

I use a real long pair of tweezers to help close the pin. No sore fingers. I also add many pins and then close them all at the same time.
Add a label to that corner as if you meant to.
XOXOXO Subee

maryb44662 04-04-2011 07:50 AM

Well almost cried...I left that nasty hunk of fabric all alone for the rest of this day! Not going near it again until I cool off.:oops: :oops:

I was just finishing my pin basting a queen size quilt and discovered the last corner was crooked and the backing doesn't cover it. Why didn't I notice it was too long somewhere else....grrrrrrr :thumbdown:

I am going to get that pin helper gadget before I continue. My finger is bloody from pinning. :cry:

I use a grapefruit spoon. Works very well. That would be cheaper than the thingy and more so if you have one on hand even. Mary

Ramona Byrd 04-04-2011 08:36 AM

[quote=TonnieLoree]Can you piece in enough to make it fit. Even if it is a different color, it is the back. Put a label over that area.
-----------------------------------------
That was my idea also. Put a large, lovely label on it giving who it's for, who it's from, the date and where it was made. Then put batting behind it and make it look like a design area.

When life hands you a lemon, make a lemon cream pie!!! And use the skin for flavoring cookies.

Now go and make that quilt end up as lovely as you saw it in your mind, and show it to us. Sounds neat.

karate lady 04-04-2011 08:49 AM

You have to learn to "finegle" that means a method other than that aske for to correct those OMG errors. I had put my first border on my first ever pieced top and as I was ironing it, I found a little tiny slit just out of the border where I had cut the square when pulling out stitches. ( i did that a lot :( ). I ran and found a little peice of iron on tape and fixed it. Cannot see it at all. Hoorah....a finegle. :lol:

Grambi 04-04-2011 09:24 AM

I love the look of pieced backs. What about unpinning that end of the quilt and sewing a section of another fabric the entire width. Hope that make sense. Good luck.

Mary L Booth 04-04-2011 09:37 AM

Use rubber finger for pinning. Maybe you can sew a piece of the backing on without unpinning.