Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Please DON'T let me volunteer again! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/please-dont-let-me-volunteer-again-t205711.html)

annthreecats 11-12-2012 04:05 AM

Congratulations for helping the girls and giving them a skill they can use later. You rock!

QuiltnNan 11-12-2012 04:11 AM

sounds like everything turned out OK. personally, i would give them a choice a fabrics of my choosing and not let them go through my stash at will. i often think about doing that, thanks for showing me some of the pitfalls.

kathbug 11-12-2012 04:38 AM

Maybe. There is a new quilter among those girls that would never have learned if it wasn't for that time you gave to those girls. God bless you for sharing your time, talent , supplies and of course patiences!

grann of 6 11-12-2012 05:17 AM

I have a DGD in Girl Scouts, and several years ago I had her whole troup, 7 or 8 girls, plus 4 Moms over to make those cushions they use. They had a ball! Yes, it was very tiring, but to me to get a bunch of young girls interested in a fading "art" is a blessing. Now my DGD has graduated to making quilts. She tells me that she shows the girls what she has learned. I just wish I could get them back again for a sewing lesson a little more advanced from what they had then, but alas, they are more interested in the opposite sex right now, they're 14 now.

Scakes 11-12-2012 05:37 AM

I always enjoyed being a Girl Scout but no one ever took the time to help us with sewing. Maybe our troop was too big? I think what you did was a wonderful thing. The girls will always remember it and hopefully you got them or some of them interested in learning more. Great job!!

sguillot 11-12-2012 06:11 AM

That's great, I think you may have some new quilters coming along. You did a great thing and those girls will never forget it.

MyQuiltedFrenzy 11-12-2012 06:12 AM

You made memories that they will never forget. Thanks from Texas for sharing you knowledge.

carolynjo 11-12-2012 06:17 AM

I wonder what idiot from on high decided to change your plans overnight. Be sure to include that idiot when next they ask you to do such a project. Those people don't have a clue about what is involved in making a quilt. Thank you for following through with the project! You deserve a medal. Glad the girls enjoyed the project, though.

Jakers1 11-12-2012 06:17 AM

I helped Girl Scouts this summer - two all day classes, with 12 and 16 girls respectively. We made several things on the machines. There were 5 available. The leader did not know much about sewing and there were no other adults present, so it all fell on me. Some of the girls said they could sew - and they could not. The scouts were very happy with my volunteering - and I am sure they will ask me again. We did make a t-shirt bag and a scrunchy scarf, with no accidents. I told the leader that if there is a next time (and I am sure there will be), I will hold a tutorial for all the girls to understand the machine and safety issues. I will then give them paper with lines on to sew without thread to practice hand/foot coordination. One of the girls was a senior scout, going to college this fall. She did know how to sew - but had a problem. She said her machine was not working - I suggested she turn it on!

sewnsewer2 11-12-2012 06:22 AM

Alma, that's what it's all about. Teaching and maybe you have put a bug in at least one of them to be a quilter later on. Good going! :thumbup: