Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Please DON'T let me volunteer again! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/please-dont-let-me-volunteer-again-t205711.html)

bearisgray 11-12-2012 11:23 AM

Wow!

Why not pillowcases for a service project?

running1 11-12-2012 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by pattypurple (Post 5650199)
As a former Girl Scout (many, many moons ago) I salute you. Those are the things that the girls will remember in the future. I know I wouldn't have the patience to do that job. You get a gold star

Same here!! definitely, a gold star!!! Way to go!!!

nstitches4u 11-12-2012 05:48 PM

Alma,

Those girls will remember that day for the rest of their lives. Who knows? Maybe you have created some new quilters.

charlotte37830 11-12-2012 06:28 PM

One job I had was doing activities with children at the community center of a housing development. One project we did was make preemie quilts for the local children's hostpital. One 11 year old boy that was a real trouble maker came and wanted to learn to quilt. The first thing I did was lay down the ground rules. He was the best child there. He sewed his little heart out. It was really touching and rewarding to watch him work with such passion for as he said "the poor little babies". He had did a really good job.

Daylesewblessed 11-12-2012 07:26 PM

This thread reminds me of sewing lessons my mother did for girls in our rural community 50 years ago. There were about 5 or 6 "town" girls who were in 7th grade (I was in 9th) that came for lessons. One of them had lost her mother when she was in 2nd grade. I think it was that girl that Mom wanted to help. The other girls had mothers who were either non-sewers or didn't have the patience to teach their daughters.

We had the girls at our house for sessions, and the goal was for each girl to make a "shift" dress. I don't believe that any of them had sewn before. I was her assistant, and somehow everyone had a finished dress after a few sessions.

At 88 my mother still does wonderful things for people in her community, but I often think about how those sewing sessions with the "town" girls were "above and beyond" the call of duty.

Dayle

MimiBug123 11-12-2012 08:18 PM

I'm afraid I would have to seriously hurt (not really) my DD if she did that to me! And to let them go through your stash!!!!! No way in the real hot place would I ever let them do that. Bless your heart. You must have the patience of Job!

hperttula123 11-12-2012 08:56 PM

you did a great thing and the time you spent with them will always be remembered. I have a hard time with my kids' friends. They want something and I just whip it up for them just like I would my own kids(I have to stop that). The one night my daughter had two friends over. I quilted the top on friend had made herself and make a plain quilt for the other friend(she liked some camo fabric and we put minkee on the back). so, in one evening, I quilted two quilts and we did the bindings so they could take them home that night. I was so tired. The kids loved it and I still hear about it....that is what makes it all worth it.

Maralyn 11-13-2012 05:20 AM

Thanks to you and all members of this board who want to pass our skills on to a younger generation.....and get the opportunity like you did.

maryfrang 11-13-2012 05:28 AM

Our next generation of sewers and quilters. It is a lost art and everyone we show our art too will be a future for quilting and sewing. I love teaching young people to sew and quilt.

Charming 11-13-2012 06:52 AM

That must have been really really really fun. Love the idea of teaching little girls how to sew and would love to try it myself one day. I bit you are going to look at these quilts for a long time and remember the whole day ;-)