Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   please help me choose the middle for my christmas dresden plate runner (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/please-help-me-choose-middle-my-christmas-dresden-plate-runner-t158885.html)

janmwalker 10-09-2011 04:36 AM

I prefer the gold. Beautiful colors!!

QuilterChick 10-09-2011 04:36 AM

Of the four, I would choose the red. The idea of some metallic thread is excellent too.

lfletcher 10-09-2011 04:38 AM

I like the gold. It seems to pop. The other centers get lost a bit. Have you tried black?

Texas_Sue 10-09-2011 04:39 AM

I really like the gold one. It really pops!

cyniree 10-09-2011 04:40 AM

I like all of them. Nice.

Cris 10-09-2011 04:40 AM

#3, they look great! :thumbup:

quilt3311 10-09-2011 04:45 AM

The one with the red center catches my eye. They are all nice though the one with the white center seems like it needs something there. Maybe a quilting design of a poinsettia.

hoppa 10-09-2011 04:47 AM

I like the red

bearisgray 10-09-2011 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by BJSEWS
THE CONTRAST FROM THE GOLD IS THE BEST BUT I THINK I WOULD TRY A DIFFERENT SHADE OF GOLD. THE RED IS OK BUT I THINK I WOULD TRY A DIFFERENT AGAIN NOT THE SAME AS IN THE BODY. NUMBER 3 MAKES IT LOOK THE SAME OR ALL ONE COLOR. THE GOLD AND WHITE MAKE THE CENTER STAND OUT AND I DON'T CARE FOR THE WHITE AT ALL. I FEEL A LIGHTER AND A PLAINER OR VARIED SHADE WOULD BRING MORE CONTRAST TO THE PIECE. SO I WOULD SAY THE GOLD IS BETTER BUT NOT THE BEST. BUT WHAT IS YOUR CHOICE AND HOW DO YOU INTEND TO USE IT

Pretty much what I would have said -

I agree with the original poster - none of them are quite right yet - the Dresden plate itself is beautiful -

How about a red or green tone-on-tone or mottled fabric? Pick up one of the colors in the other fabrics, but either go with a lighter or darker value.

It was very interesting to me to see how changing the center changed the overall effect so much

My reactions to the centers:

The gold stuck out like a sore thumb
The red made me think of a hub on a wheel - it connected to the spokes of the plate
The paisley - just sort of muddles the whole thing
The white - looks like it forgot to get dressed

Again - the plate is beautiful and the fabrics look very rich in it.

(You did ask :? )

lelia 10-09-2011 04:50 AM

Hello, I choose number two. It is beautiful and since you are a dresden expert can you help me on mine. ????
I am doing a white on white dresden quilt for my daughter and I am having big big big trouble doing the middle circle. This is my first major quilt and I just about have all the petals put together but i have tried doing the middle circle and it comes out too small, too big or off round ish. I am using just a normal sewing machine and nothing fancy. If you could give me some tips I would appreciate it. and again all of them are beautiful but since you asked...I would go for the redish on in number two picture. Thanks for any help. Lelia